Menopause Community
Sudden Severe joints pain coinciding with menopause time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Dear Doctor,
About 6 weeks ago my right elbow and right knee joints started to hurt. Didn't think much about it. 2 weeks later during my business trip which included several hrs of airport delays, I suddenly got this strange pain in both of my hips, both my shoulders and continuing with the elbow, then both wrist and fingure and jaw joints.  The pain would worsen when I would get up after a period of sitting down, in an air conditioned room, and during my sleep.  From being called a pretzel due to my body flexibility, now I can't change my cloth or walk staight without hurting. To add to the problem 4 weeks later, I also developed tingling feelings in all my fingers, and hands. It would get so sleepy and hot that would wake me up at night. I am a 49 yr old female who is behind the computer 10 hours a day with a very stressful work. The noticeable changes in the past 2 months have been that at work we moved to a very bad air quality location with lots of draft.  Also, after 3 years of taking BC pills I decided to stop it and see if I will become menauposal. I did start getting hot flashes 3 weeks later and just got the result of blood work to confirm my menopause.  So far, I have seen an orthopedic Doc, a gynocologist, an Neurologist and now waiting for a Rheumotologist appt. No one able to tell me anything. A suspect for Novovirus and Lyme are considered. However, I have no rashes, no flu like symptons and no fatigue. Also, I would think that RhumotoArthritus would not suddenly hit a healthy person this way?!  I am sure several more blood work will be done. However, is it all possible that these joints pain are due to a drop of hormone and body reaction to the change??? Most doctors may not support that concept.  I have read similar questions in your section but from young male. My noutrition has always been good. I have become even more health conscious since my pain started. Please help me to narrow down this if you have known of similar cases! thank you
I, too, suddenly started with severe joint pain.  It frightened me and I felt as if I were ready for social security and a nursing home.  I saw my gynecologist and she explained to me that the pain was due to the rise and fall of estrogen.  My levels were low, but I was still producing estrogen during my cycle.  I have had a hysterectomy, but I still have my ovaries.  She suggested I take something like Estroven to keep an even level of estrogen in my system.  I did not want to go on a low dose estrogen patch as she offered.  She offers her patients a holistic approach or a medical one (I hope I'm using those terms correctly).  She is an excellent physician and surgeon and is a woman in her 40s.  I decided to try something like the Estroven and after going on-line and checking the herb based remedies, I decided to try Menersa.  I have been taking Menersa for nearly 2 months.  My joint pain is gone.  It is amazing!  A good friend of mine who is 58 started taking Sam-E for joint pain and mild depression.  She said that it has changed her life.  I'm looking into it as I have mild mood swings, but for me that is significant as my mood has nearly always been positive.  The downside of Sam-E is that it can cause anxiety if the dose is too high.  I have been suffering from anxiety too, another new thing for me, so I'm going to read much more about it.  But I am excited that this may help too.  Menopause is a weird duck...it does kick you when you least expect it.  Thankfully, I have not suffered the hot flashes that so many women experience.  I hope this has helped.  You are not alone in this and what you are feeling is normal for menopause...still, please see a gynecologist and discuss your pain.  Best to you.  Oh, one other thing.  My daughter is 32 and she has pain like you're experiencing in her hips and hand/fingers going numb, etc. and she just found out that she has a severe B12 deficiency.  She is receiving B12 shots weekly.
Dear Kesta, I just wrote a long message and posted it, but it disappeared!  Not familair with the site as I just signed up yesterday.  So, writing back to thank you for sharing your story with me. I appreciate the information. My GYN was off track and didn't even suspect the joint pain maybe caused by Menopausal stage!!!! In fact he thought it is too early for my menopause at 49!!!! Do I need to change my doctor after seing him for 10 years?!

About your anxiety, while seeking for professional advice, please start doing deep breathing, yoga and avoid caffeine if you can and drink lots of water. The breathing has to include the exhalation through the mouth twice as long as the ingalation through the nose (filling the diaframe).  

I will post more after I get the result of visiting a rheumotologist. Best of Luck and thanks again. K
Hi Katia,

Thanks for the anxiety advice.  In fact, I do just what you recommended for anxiety.  I have a good friend who is really into yoga.  I have one cup of coffee each morning and I do drink tons of water.  The breathing was had for me at first as it seemed to make it harder to breathe as I was already having difficulty breathing!  But, you're right, get the air out and the air will come in. ;)  As soon as I got that concept, I was okay.

I would try a female gynecologist if you can.  Perhaps someone who may be into menopause herself.

Please let me know how you make out.  I'll be wishing you well.

K
A good obgyn would be able to spot perimenopause at 39, like mine did.  I would definitely consider finding a doctor more in-tune with his or her profession, or what a women's body goes through.  There is also something called "project aware", which is a women's organization to make people aware of the 35 symptoms of menopause. Joint and back pain being a common one. Certainly more common than vector born viruses like Lyme.