Menopause Expert Forum
Surgical Menopause

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Surgical Menopause

Hi Dr

I have spoken to you before with regard to the Physical and Emotional effects of my Surgery.I hope you do not mind me asking your advice once again.  It is now alost 9 months since my  Surgery for OVCA . I know I will not be able to take any form of Hormones due to the tumours and therefore I really am struggling at times with the effects of this abrupt Menopause. I am glad the Cancer is away and would not want to promote growth of further cells.
Can I ask you once the BSO is performed do we produce any hormones elsewhere within the body for a time Post Surgery.  What causes headaches almost like a feeling of pressure it comes and goes is it in relation to the drop in Oestrogen I have ben experiencing this cloudy dull headache over the left orbit temple area to the rear of the head.
Thankyou
The hormones in the body only last a few days after the ovaries are removed. Then they go down to menopausal levels. People who are overweight make some weaker estrogens in their fat cells. The adrenal glands also make some hormones that help these symptoms, but the absolute levels are much lower once the ovaries are removed.

If OVCA is ovarian cancer, talk with your doctor. Many types of ovarian cancer are not affected by estrogen and it is possible to take it. As for the headaches, I am not able to say what is causing them. Talk with your doctor and be sure the headache is not due to something unrelated to the sudden lack of estrogen. Also be sure to check your blood pressure. Things like yoga and relaxation techniques can be helpful if the headaches are due to tension. It all depends on the cause of them.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD