Menopause Expert Forum
Surgical menopause
About This Forum:

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Surgical menopause

Hello,

I am 41. I had a hysterectomy in 2001 with my right ovary removed.  I had to have my left ovary removed last month, the ultrasounds and Mri's  were coming back that a mass on my ovary was possibly malignant and my estrogen levels were above 800, which 3 doctors told me was very high.  I had only a month to prepare for this surgery.  There was no malignancy, Thank God!

I know this is really going to sound stupid, but is it possible that I am NOT going through menopause?  Also, if removing ovaries causes "surgical menopause", then when are you considered to be post menopause?

My husband says I am in denial.  I was placed on estradiol 1 mg and decided to wait to take it, because I thought maybe I was getting estrogen from somewhere else. (Logically, I know estrogen comes from the ovaries) I started to take the estradiol 2 days ago, since I was having bad night sweats that kept waking me up at night, and I am somewhat more emotional than I was before the surgery.

When I had my first post-op visit, I asked the gyn/onc if I was in menopause, and she said I was. (She did NOT take another hormone test, she said it wasn't necessary since both my ovaries are gone) I just wanted another opinion, and don't want to sound stupid asking her again if it is at all possible that I am NOT going through menopause and when does post menopause start.

Thank You!