Menopause Community
Swollen legs and Perimenopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Swollen legs and Perimenopause

I think I've entered into perimenopause. My period has gone haywire, showing up whenever it feels like it and I've had fatigue. In the past, my period has been like clockwork. Sometimes it would cause swelling in my feet and a little in my legs, but it would go away quickly. I would also get constipated sometimes temporarily. Now that I have my period on an off perpetually, I've been seriously constipated and my legs and feet are very swollen. They have not had a chance to go down. I read somewhere that constipation can cause swelled legs. I've started taking magnesium again (I had forgotten to bring it on a trip we went on) and I try to eat fiber-rich foods and drink a lot of water. I had tried a diuretic and then found out that may cause more harm than good and it could take 3 weeks to reverse the bad affects. What is the best way to get rid of swelling in the legs? It is making it very difficult to get around.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Swelling over the legs can be due to various reasons and firstly you need to see your Doctor to find out the cause. Water retention caused by excessive salt intake, cardiac problems or renal problems need to be excluded. If you do not have any of these then hormonal imbalances can be one of the reasons. Also dependant oedema can result from long hours of sitting or standing. For irregular periods a hormonal panel and an ultrasound scan need to be done. Constipation can be tackled by fibre rich foods, laxatives and drinking lots of water. Consult your Doctor.
Hope this helps.