Menopause Community
Tinnitus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Tinnitus

I, 53 yo, have not had period for over a year.  But I also have left-ear tinnitus for approx. a year, feeling fullness/pressure behind nose/ears, a bit of post nasal drip, tense neck, head feels light, fatigue. I feel that it's quite debilitating. MRI was negative. My ENT doctor said that it might stop someday. I have been taking aspirin 460mg/day, as antiinflammatory/analgesic, which helps a bit, but not 100% cure.
Is there a correlation between menopause and my tinnitus,etc  problem?
I'll appreciate it if you could give me some advice on this problem. THANKS.
I would highly recommend that you see a Otolaryngolist, a specialist who deals with diseases and disorders affecting the ear, nose and throat.
Many people experience an occasional ringing (or roaring, hissing, buzzing, or tinkling) in their ears. The sound usually lasts only a few minutes. Ringing in the ears that does not get better or go away is called tinnitus. You may hear a sound, such as a ringing or roaring, that does not come from your surroundings (nobody else can hear it). The sound may keep time with your heartbeat, it may keep pace with your breathing, it may be constant, or it may come and go (intermittent). Tinnitus is most common in people older than age 40. Men have problems with tinnitus more often than women.

There are two main types of tinnitus.

-Vibratory tinnitus is often caused by sounds created by muscle movements near the ear, changes in the ear canal, or blood flow (vascular) problems in the face or neck. You may hear sounds such as your own pulse or the contractions of your muscles.

-Nonvibratory tinnitus is caused by problems in the nerves involved with hearing. You may hear sounds in one or both ears. Sometimes this type of tinnitus is described as coming from inside the head.
The most common cause of tinnitus is hearing loss that occurs with aging (presbycusis), but it can also be caused by living or working around loud noises (acoustic trauma). Tinnitus can occur with all types of hearing loss and may be a symptom of almost any ear disorder. Other possible causes of tinnitus include:

A buildup of earwax.
Medicines, especially antibiotics or large amounts of aspirin.
Drinking an excessive amount of alcohol or caffeinated beverages.
Ear infections or eardrum rupture.
Dental or other problems affecting the mouth, such as temporomandibular (TM) problems.
Injuries, such as whiplash or a direct blow to the ear or head.
Injury to the inner ear following surgery or radiation therapy to the head or neck.
A rapid change in environmental pressure (barotrauma).
Severe weight loss from malnutrition or excessive dieting.
Repeated exercise with the neck in a hyperextended position, such as when bicycle riding.
Blood flow (vascular) problems, such as carotid atherosclerosis, AV malformations, and high blood pressure (hypertension).
Nerve problems (neurologic disorders), such as multiple sclerosis or migraine headache.
Other diseases. These may include:
Acoustic neuroma.
Anemia.
Labyrinthitis.
Ménière's disease.
Otosclerosis.
Thyroid disease.
Most tinnitus that comes and goes (intermittent) does not require medical treatment. You may need to see your doctor if tinnitus occurs with other symptoms, does not get better or go away, or is in only one ear. There may not be a cure for tinnitus, but your doctor can help you learn how to live with the problem and make sure a more serious problem is not causing your symptoms.

The following tips may help you reduce symptoms of tinnitus.

Cut back on or eliminate alcohol and beverages containing caffeine.
Stop smoking and stop using smokeless tobacco products. Nicotine use makes tinnitus worse by reducing blood flow to the structures of the ear.
Limit your use of aspirin, products containing aspirin, and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or naproxen.
Exercise regularly. Exercise improves blood flow to the structures of the ear. However, avoid extended periods of exercise, such as bicycle riding, that keep your neck in a hyperextended position. While waiting to see whether tinnitus goes away, or if your doctor has advised you that your tinnitus will be present for a long time, try these methods to cope with the constant noise:

Limit or avoid exposure to the noises you suspect are causing your tinnitus. If you cannot avoid loud noises, wear protective earplugs or earmuffs.
Try to ignore the sound by directing your attention to other things.
Practice relaxation techniques, such as biofeedback, meditation, or yoga. Stress and fatigue seem to make tinnitus worse.
Quiet rooms can cause tinnitus to seem more distracting. Background noise may reduce the amount of noise you hear. Play music or white noise when you are trying to fall asleep or anytime you find yourself in a quiet place. Try using a fan, a humidifier, or a machine that makes soothing sounds such as ocean waves.
Try the herbal supplement ginkgo biloba. Some studies suggest that it may help relieve tinnitus, but other studies do not show a benefit. Further studies are needed to determine the best dosage.
Symptoms to Watch For During Home Treatment

Symptoms develop that are related to nerve damage, such as loss of coordination or numbness or weakness on one side of the face or one side of the body.
Other symptoms develop, such as significant hearing loss, vertigo, loss of balance, nausea or vomiting.
Tinnitus localizes to one ear.
Hearing loss becomes worse within 24 hours after an ear injury, or tinnitus or hearing loss does not improve within 1 week of an ear injury.
Tinnitus continues for 2 weeks, despite the use of home treatment.
Your symptoms become more severe or more frequent.
Please see a Otolaryngologist