Menopause Community
Upside Down Uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Upside Down Uterus

I have found only a few posts here about other women having actual upside down uteruses and their effects.  I recently had an ultrasound because I started to bleed after a year menopause and had severe lower back pain.  The doctor did a pelvic and felt a large mass.  Well... the ultrasound came back perfectly normal, only it was very apparent that my uterus has turned completely upside down!  It was the uterus that the doc felt.  On today's exam, the doc almost could not get to the cervix for a pap sample due to it being way up toward my belly button!  Of course we all laughed about it.. what else can you do!  I have always known I had a tilted uterus.  My question is, has anyone else with a tilted uterus found out that as they get older and go through menopause, that their uteruses become even more turned?  And what kind of symptoms does it cause?  I think it is pressing on my colon, unfortunately, giving me digestive problems.  And the added back pain during my unusual menstrual cycle.  Are there any exercises that would turn it back even a little bit?  
I'm not quite sure about this situation but, it makes sense that if women's pelvic organs can prolapse, a tilted uterus can also twist due to ligament distortion, stretching or tightening.  The fact that your doctor laughed at it is a good sign :)!!!  

I'm hoping that someone with some experience in this will answer so, I'm bumping this up for others to read.  I really think that it has something to do with the ligaments/muscles holding up the uterus that has become out of whack to cause your tilted uterus to turn like this.  It could be that the pelvic muscles/ligaments have prolapsed in the posterior, causing your bowels to become prolapsed as well, tugging down on the back side of your uterus and rotating it.  Logic is telling me that if we can do Kegels to strengthen pelvic floor muscles for the prolapsed uterus and bladder, there must also be a similar set of exercises that can be done to tighten up the bowel ligaments.  

Try looking up Kegel exercises where they'll give you a step by step set of instructions...ONLY, in your case, you may want to try to pull up on the rectal muscles as well...kind of like when you want to stop a bowel movement, instead of urination as described in the Kegel exercises.  You'll see what I mean when you read the instructions on how to do Kegels.  Just substitute/include the bowel muscles when they say "the muscles responsible for stopping urination in mid-stream.  :)

By the way, any prolapsing in the pelvic region will cause the type of pain that you're describing.

Hope this helps and that others will join in on the conversation and add their input now too! :)

Best wishes and please update us as your answers could help others in the same situation too. :)  You're NOT alone in this, I'm sure!
       hi i am 29 years old i once had a upside down uterus.... notice i said had. when i went to the doctor  i was 27 at the time, my periods was awful i could not deal with them i would have 2-3 periods a month and really bad heavy alot of times i wouldnt get out of the bed for 3 days. had 2 ultra sounds done  first one was regular her eyes got big but she didnt say anythin went back to my doctor and he told me he wanted me to have another ultra sound done but have a vag ultra sound to see better so i did that and thats when they told me ......... your uterus is upside down!!! they asked if i had kids i said yes i had 2 asked if i had alot of back pain with my last said yes they asked about my periods told them how long i had them how painful they was thats when my doctor told me that the only way to fix it was to have a Hysterectomy :( my iron was also so low that iron shots and B_12 shots didnt help it was suppose to be 11 and mine was a 5. my doctor said that if i got pregers again i wouldnt make it thru the child birth  and yes im anemia....its been 3 years since my hysterectomy and i wish i never went thru with it i want to have another baby so bad its depressing i cry almost every night. in away i think they said that to scare me into having the surgery but i went to 2 different doctors and they both said the same thing i just wish i could of had one more child but i should and am thankful for the 2 that i have just always wanted to have a big family