Menopause Expert Forum
VERY high FSH
About This Forum:

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

VERY high FSH

I am 48 and have not had a period in 1.5 years. Getting hot flashes, memory problems & joint aches. My blood work is:
LH 65.9
FSH 182.8 (isn't this VERY high?)
Estrogen Total 154
WBC 3.4
Total Chol  195
BUT My docs say I am not in menapause and that my bloodwork is ok.  What is the deal?
Related Discussions
242601_tn?1217000247
A. Your blood values certainly are consistent with menopause.  The usual FSH cut off for menopause is > 40 mIU/ml.  Although that value might fluctuate and there is no absolute value to diagnose menopause, a value of >40 along with no periods for more than a year, hot flashes and the other symptoms you are having is very characteristic of menopause.  

Your cholesterol is also at the upper end of normal to very mildly elevated and you can talk with your doctor about exercise and diet changes that might lower your cholesterol level.

It might be a good time to talk with your doctor or with a doctor used to treating menopause about what your treatment options are to help you with your symptoms.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank