VERY high FSH
I am 48 and have not had a period in 1.5 years. Getting hot flashes, memory problems & joint aches. My blood work is:
LH 65.9
FSH 182.8 (isn't this VERY high?)
Estrogen Total 154
WBC 3.4
Total Chol  195
BUT My docs say I am not in menapause and that my bloodwork is ok.  What is the deal?
A. Your blood values certainly are consistent with menopause.  The usual FSH cut off for menopause is > 40 mIU/ml.  Although that value might fluctuate and there is no absolute value to diagnose menopause, a value of >40 along with no periods for more than a year, hot flashes and the other symptoms you are having is very characteristic of menopause.  

Your cholesterol is also at the upper end of normal to very mildly elevated and you can talk with your doctor about exercise and diet changes that might lower your cholesterol level.

It might be a good time to talk with your doctor or with a doctor used to treating menopause about what your treatment options are to help you with your symptoms.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD