Menopause Community
Vaginal Smell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Vaginal Smell

I am a guy. So please excuse my question on this topic. My girlfriend who is 55 (with whom I have been going out for over 10 years) has recently developed a repulsive smell from her vagina. I know that her personal hygene is impeccable. How can I tell her about this? This has affected our relationship somewhat as I feel repulsed when it comes to sex. Please help.
I'm a woman in my 50's now and this horrible foul oder thing happened to me once when I was in my 30's. I went to my OBGYN (one of the best and in NYC) She said I had pollyps in my uterine lining, that's what was causing the smell. She then performed an in-office procedure in which she scraped out the uterine lining and immediately put me on Allesse birth controil pills. She said the pills would prevent this builup of excess lining material and pollyps from occuring again.
So far she was right. Maybe your friend should see a gynocoligist and jhave the scraping done. I will also as that I had impeccable cleaniness and no matter how much I douched or cleaned the smell would not-could not be removed, for obvious reasons. I hope this helps.
Hi. I suffered year of a similar symptom and went of course after course of anti-fungals and anti-biotics which only exacerbated the condition. Finally, i went back to basics: I dipped a tampom into natural yoghurt and inserted it as normal. My years of misery ended after 3 or 4 applications. My son's girlfriend had a similar complaint and a week after she started the "treatment" she rang to say that it's all better now.....i belive the smell is due to the imbalance of ph/alkaline of the vaginal fluid whic is normally acidic. Good Luck and let me know how you get on!
pinkie
hi again
on how to approach the subject, perhaps a little fore-play with ice-cream..honey....yoghurt... :)
It may be bacterial Vaginosis (BV).  Very common, very easy to diagnose and very easy to treat - any sexual health clinic will help. Not a transmitted infection, just an imbalance in the vagina's normal PH levels.

Alternatively, and less commonly, it may be Trimethylaminuria (TMAU) - a genetic condition that can often be controlled by diet. Very specific urine and blood tests are done to get this diagnosed.  Not all doctors know about this condition, so surf the web, print some info out and go to the doctor (if the BV test came back negative first!).