Menopause Community
Weight Gain problem like everyone else :/

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Hi Ladies... Well I have read a lot of the posts and we are all in the same boat BUT I didn't ready any
solutions!!! :(((( I have been in pre-menopause for 4-5years. I have gained 30 pounds sadly and it can
still climb!! I am dieting and even exercising like never before and NOTHING!! I have not lost 1 pound!!!
It is very depressing!!!! I see the posts date back to years ago... Has anyone found a solution.. does this
eventually stop??? I have a closet full of clothes that I cannot wear but I don't want to throw them away!!
I also do NOT want to go clothes shopping... so, what to do,, what to do??? Right now I am doing Nutrisystem
just so I don't gain anymore weight eating regular food!!! It is very embarrassing to be this way and yet..
I can't do a darn thing about it!!!! It's crazy!!!!! Sadly spring is finally here and I don't even want to go outside!!
I have never heard of something like this and it is nice to see that I am not alone!!!!
I had blood work done and it is not my thyroids!!! Oh, I have been on Amberen and it doesn't seem to be helping! :(
So.. if anyone has any answers or advice.. PLEASE HELLPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!
Hello, Do you know how many calories you need to lose weight?  I too have gained about 30 pounds slowly over the past five years.  That is when I began having peri symptoms.  A few months ago I learned I have hypothyroid, so while that accounts for perhaps 10-15 pounds, it doesn't account for the other 15-20.  Our metabolism slows down about 10% each decade so some say one should cut back about 100 calories per day per decade.  Also, for me, to lose weight with a sluggish thyroid, I have to cut back a little more.  For example, if I consumed 2000 cals/day at age 20, now, at almost 50, 1700 is my target intake just to maintain.  To lose, I have to cut back more than that, another 500 cals/day to lose one pound a week.  For me to lose, I have to consistently consume 1200 cals/day over a long period of time to see a difference.  I am not in a hurry to lose weight, as I'm not overweight even with the weight gain, so I take in about 1500 cals/day and would love to just lose a couple pounds each month.  I'm not sure if any of this is helpful for you, but wanted to share my experience and approach I am taking.  Good luck!

PS-Try to be gentle with yourself.  I know weight causes so much anxiety, but we should try to not let it get the better of us, causing us such grief and as you say, embarrassment.