Menopause Expert Forum
What is Disordered Proliferative Endometrium with Stromal Breakdown

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Can you please tell me what this means I recieved a copy of my pathology report and it states Disordered Proliferative Endometrium with stromal breakdown. Fragments of endometrial polyp.I am post menopause and had light bleeding so a pap and a uterine biospy was done with an u/s that showed unterine .09cm thick appox 2" septated cyst inside right ovary and 2 fiborids.I called a excellent cancer center by me for a 2nd opinion they have you fax over all the reports then decide if you need to be seen. well I did get a call back and now have appt for June 12th and I am a little worried that they thought they need to see me. My gyn told everything was fine and to just follow up with another U/S in 2 months. I now have my slides, U/S film and pap smears and I am ready to go. they requested that I bring all of that.
Thanks in advance for this great service
Linda
A. Proliferative endometrium means your uterine lining is in the first half of the cycle.  This is a good thing and is not cancer.  There may have been a polyp which is a soft tissue benign tumor. Sometimes if there is a polyp, the doctor will look inside with a telescope called a hysteroscope and grab the polyp and pull it out.  Usually polyps have a stalk and the entire thing can come out. The biopsy might have left some of the polyp behind. Sometimes this is done in the office and sometimes it is done under light anesthesia in the operating room but it is a day procedure and people usually go home in a couple of hours.  They will take a look at the ultrasound to evaluate the cyst.  If they repeat the ultrasound in a month or two it may be gone which is a good thing.  If it is still there, they might want to look at it more closely by doing an ultrasound that has Doppler. This is a special type of ultrasound that can tell how much blood flow goes to the ovary and gives extra information as to whether it is benign or not.  Sometimes the doctor wants to do a laparoscopy which is a belly button incision to place a telescope into the abdomen to see the ovary. The fibroids are likely not to be important unless they are located just under the uterine lining and are contributing to the slight bleeding.

Probably, everything is going to turn out just fine. But it is always a good idea to follow up and be sure.  Getting a second opinion is just that