What is significance of endometrial thickness of 1.7 mm
I am 55 and had some light vaginal bleeding x 5 days, which seemed like a period-had definite PMS sx previous wk (hadn't had period for 1yr, 4 mos). PE- everything felt nl. I had an endometrial bx which I was told was nl. FSH=43. CA-125=11. CBC was fine. Pelvic US: Uterus is of nl size (7.7 x3.9 x4cm) Endometrial thickness 1.7 mm. Ovaries: R=1.7 x 1.6 1.5cm;
L=2 x 2.7 x 2.4cm. No free pelvic fluid seen. Conclusion: Unremarkable pelvic US. My question: Why does my physician want me to see a GYN because "the endometrial thickness isn't nl for a woman your age"? What is the nl thickness of endometrium at the various stages? What is the significance of different endometrial thicknesses? Thank you.
Hi,I just read your post.Your doctor probably wants to be checked by a gyncologist,to make sure nothing else is going on.Having thickness to uterus is never normal at any age,especially at your age.There could be many different things that are going on right now.A gynecologist would be the best to diagnose whats going on.Take care of your self,Harttohart.
Hi there, the gyne will likely do an endometrial biopsy to rule out anything abnormal in the uterine lining. It's a pretty simple procedure and many docs do it right in the office.

Good luck,

Hudson
I had a thickened uterus and some spotting also. I was referred to a obgyn and he said I needed a d&c  and some biopsies to make sure everything is okay. He said my was caused by being on hrt and i had to decide to stay on it and have a chance it return again or go off it. It is called a precancerous condition and should always be checked and not left alone. I did not want to go through it over and over again, so I decided to go off hrt and now I have hot flashes with a vengence and don't know what to do. I'm on premensil and hoping in a few weeks it will get them under control. Do get it checked out. Good luck.
Hashi, I think you are smart to go off the HRT. You don't want to take a chance on endometrial cancer. I had been having hot flashes for the last 6 months too. I am 51 and have been in peri-menopause for the last few years. But, the past 5 weeks, the hot flashes have subsided tremendously. Hang in there and this too shall pass :-)

Hudson