Menopause Expert Forum
When to stop contraception

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

When to stop contraception

I am 53 and have not had a period in 14 months. I know that I should be able to stop contraception but I had very light spotting (a few drops) 4 months ago. A friend told me I should keep up the contraceptions for 12 months after the spotting. Is this correct? I have never heard this. All the information I've read says 12 months after a period.
Are there any research papers you can suggest on this?
At 53 with no period in 14 months, the chances of getting pregnant are quite remote. It is possible that your cycle could be starting up again, but it is also possible that the spotting is due to something else that should be evaluated by your doctor. For that reason, I would plan to see your doctor over the next few months just to be sure all is well. Probably there won't be anything wrong, but it is a good idea just to know for sure. There are many papers written about this type of situation, but each situation is different and there isn't one in particular to recommend.  You can look over a website such as Red Hot Mamas (redhotmamas.org).
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Thank you for your comment. I've already made an appointment to see a doctor. I will keep up contraceptions until this is fully investigated. I'm so grateful that this forum exists.