Menopause Community
abdominal cramping after menopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

abdominal cramping after menopause

I have seen my gyn for my annual pap test.  They have all come back normal (thank God).  My problem is that I have cramping much like pre-menstrual cramping. This has been going on for about 7 years now.  I don't have them all the time just about once a month for a few days.  I haven't had a cycle in 9 years.  I don't have any bleeding.  My doctor has prescribed ultrasounds and they too have come back negative.  He keeps telling me not to worry it's normal.  He put me on hormone cream and I started to have (more) cystic breasts, headaches, vision problems and insomnia.  So, I stopped them immediately.  Am I just being over cautious or maybe a little phobic?  Please help decide whether I should get a second opinion or just not worry about it and consider it part of "being a woman"?
I've heard from lots of women that they have this type of cramping but, no periods.  It's like a "phantom period" and no one seems to know what is causing it or what it's from that I've heard.  It's pretty common apparently.  

Since you've had a thorough check up and no bleeding, I doubt that there's anything much to worry about.  It may be back related as well.  Did you know that the nerves that run from your sacral area of your spine (lower back) can cause pain to wrap around to the front to create that kind of menstrual like pain?  It can!  Since you've gone the gynecology route, why not try a chiropractor for one or two sessions to see if there's anything going on with your back and referred pain from it?  What have you got to lose?  :)  

If that doesn't help and the chiropractor doesn't think that's the cause and you're still concerned...another opinion certainly would be worth the peace of mind for you. :)  

You may also want to consider some acupuncture treatments as they can reduce and even eliminate a lot of these types of things.  

And, don't push aside the idea that there could be other things like bladder spasms, colon/bowel spasms and a whole realm of other things causing the pain.  Try a chiropractic assessment first though.  I've had great relief from this type of cramping.  It's actually coming from my back but, feels like it's menstrual related. :)  

Please update us!  
Im glad i seen this post..i have only been 6months no period but get all the cramping, pimples and most other symptoms of a period every month, no bleeding..so annoying...Dawn
Just a few things to add for thought:

Hormone cream normally is only absorbed by the areas to which it is applied.  However, if breast tenderness occurs, it is a sign that hormones are reaching the blood.  That would indicate a need to cut back on the cream dosage.  My doctor recommended just applying it to the external areas, just a dab using the fingertips rather than using an applicator.

When you get the pap tests, does the doctor also press down on the abdomen to make sure he doesn't feel anything unusual (enlarged uterus, cysts, etc.)?  It should be part of the exam.  If nothing found, then I'd blame hormones from the cream.
I am 3 years in mennopause no period or bleeding.. I am 52. I had every symptom there is that going through mennopause has. My mother died of ovarian cancer 11 years ago, so hormones is not an option for me. The hot sweats and sleepless nights were the worse. I haven't had this problem for a few months. I stay current on my breast exams and mammograms. And pelvic exams as well as a ca-125.
The past 2 months I have been having cramps breast tenderness and my face is breaking out.. Oh and my moods up and down.. This is everyday for at least 30 days stright. I have heard this is normal for some women to have these symptoms for years after mennopause. It this true?
well I am glad I googled this cramping because I am 59 and have had this for almost a year.  Your description of your menstrual/lower abdominal cramping is exactly what mine is.  I strongly believe now that mine comes from my lower back pain and I will be checking this with a chiropractor as suggested by PerimenoWorried response.  I had an ultrasound done a few months ago and saw a Homeopath and she treated me with a remedy that works but it comes back again as soon as the remedy is done.   So want to get to the bottom of this.  
I have been post menopausal for 6 yrs now. I was diagnosed at 32 and I haven't had a natural period since till last month. I had all the symptoms of a menstrual cycle from the cramping, sore breast, discharge and bleeding for 3 days. I went to my gyne and they did a test by taking a piece of my lining and testing and I was told the results say I am still post menopausal and that it's like my body was remembering what it use to do, but this month I also experienced cramping but nothing else and I keep reading and hearing these are potential cancer symptoms. I don't want to constantly think something is wrong but I am being told that because of my age they are not as concerned as they would be in an older person. I just worry because this just started out of no where and its been 6 yrs.
Have you had a colonoscopy?
I am so glad I found this site.  I  had a hysterectomy and have been post menopausal for 10 years.  I still get cramping about 4 times a year, at the exact time my daughter is menstruating and cramping.  Docs thought it was diverticulitis at one point. But the episodes are too coincidental, and I certainly do remember what menstrual cramping feels like.  I finally feel like I am not alone in this.