Menopause Expert Forum
birth control pill to stop heavy periods
About This Forum:

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

birth control pill to stop heavy periods

I'm 53 (my mother went into menopause at 55).  I had approx 6 months of heavy periods with clotting - each incident lasted for 2 weeks - then 2 weeks later, it started again.  Went to a new gyno - who prescribed both an ultrasound and an emdometrial biopsy - both showed no internal problems. She put me on Seasonale bcp which works on your hormones to give you a period every 4 months. Bleeding stopped in 2 days - worked great in that regard. However, I've been on the pill for 5 1/2 months and have gained considerable amount of weight and have been reading all the negative side effects (experiencing a few myself). I decided to stop taking them (doc said well, you'll start bleeding again). I'd like to try some alternative solution - since I really believe someone my age should not be on bcp. Any advice? thanks - Karen