Menopause Expert Forum
complex ovarian cysts and uterus polyps

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

complex ovarian cysts and uterus polyps

I am 53 years old and going thru my menopsuse. My last period was 7/2006. The 11/2006 ultrasound found the urterus lining 1.0cm thick and a 10 mm complex cyst in my left ovary.  The 3/2007 ultrasound found the uterus lining still 1.0cm thick, and a 9 mm complex cyst stkk on my left ovary, but a new 14mm septated cyst found in the right ovary.  Later doctor did endometrial biopsy and ordered ca-125 blood test. The biopsy showed endometrial polyps and ca-125 result was 8 (normal).
My doctor ordered another ultrsound in 4 months to monitor it.

Although there is no period, I was pretty sure that there were ovulation discharge occurred few times, Why?  With short term Hormone treatment, will these cysts go away?  Will they ever disappear ?  Do I need D&C for the uterus polyps ?  I am afraid that later they will develop to be the cancer.  Please advise, Thanks !!
You are doing all that is necessary and what you are describing doesn't sound bad at this time. Your uterine lining is 1cm thick. It should be 0.4 cm thick (4 millimeters) or less. It sounds like it is a little thick due to the polyp. The best thing to do is have a hysteroscopy. A thin telescope is placed into the uterine lining and the polyp can be seen and removed. It can be done in the office but might be better done in the operating room with mild anesthesia since it can be a little uncomfortable to remove the polyp. Polyps are seldom cancer but most doctors would recommend removing it. That should resolve the problem.

Your ovarian cyst(s) are small. There are at least two approaches to that problem.
One is to just go ahead and have a laparoscopy done at the time of the hysteroscopy and remove the ovaries (you don't need the uterus to come out which would make the surgery a bigger one). You could typically go home the same day and not have to worry about your ovaries and ovarian cancer anymore. Since you are 53, your are close to menopause anyway.

The other extreme is to just wait to treat the ovaries. The cysts are small and most likely reflect the remaining eggs trying to ovulate. They probably are making some estrogen which is why you have polyps. The cysts are coming and going and as long as you have an ultrasound at least once a year, they can be monitored. Hormone treatment will not likely make the cysts go away any differently than they would on their own.
Machelle Seibel, MD
Hello doctor,  I would like to mention that there is no  histroy of breast/ovarian cancer in my family as I know so far.