Menopause Expert Forum
concerned

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

concerned

I had a hysterectomy almost three weeks ago, this morning I had this discharge that smelt really bad.  It felt as if a pimple with pus popped and immediately came out (I can't explain it any other way).  Is this normal?

Thanks,
lfoster3
It is difficult to say for certain if it is normal without an exam. However, this type of experience is common. The stitches that are used to sew up the top of the vaginal often dissolve at about 3 weeks and sometimes women experience small bits of thread coming out of the vagina in addition to what you are describing. If the symptoms continue, if there is a fever or you experience any pain, call your doctor.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD