Menopause Community
constipation during menopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

constipation during menopause

I am 52 years old, in menopause for about a year. Just recently I have had severe constipation that I can't relieve. Taking otc products, eating prunes, Citrucel every morning, probiotics at night. I do understand the need for water, which I drink lots of and exercise. Increasing fiber is always mentioned, but what do you do when you are gluten intolerant? I can't eat the whole grains and high fiber cereals. Help, I am miserable!
can you take fiber tablets? I am going through the same thing right now I take fiber tablets. They don't always do the job and then there is also this herbal stuff called colon clenz..
Thanks for the tip. I'll try some fiber tablets and look for the "clenz.'
I am 52 years old going through menopause and I'm having more constipation also, what is this about?
Try licorice at night with a hot drink of herbal tea, drinking lots of tea and coffee can constipate you so hav a glass of water after every cup of tea/coffee
also make a tea from aniseed and try that with the licorice
I seen last night on tv that when you have toilet issues to put something under your feet when your on the toilet to make your knees higher then your hips to line up the bowel
I tried this 2 times now and went easy as pie instead of grunting on the seat for ages lol
Look up natural laxatives for gluten intolerant people and you might find something there
things like potatoes,cheese eggs(especially boiled) and other solid things can bind you up more good luck
oh and I think menopause we dry up in all areas, skin,vagina and bowel so increase water
Hi try upping your estrogen when you are constipated works for me