Menopause Community
cramping and bloating after menopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

cramping and bloating after menopause

I have not had a period for 3 1/2 years (never had regular periods).  I have had fibroids for many years which my doctor and acupuncturist have watched  with U/S and MRI's.  I never had heavy bleeding with my fibroids pre menopause, but had pressure and and a feeling that everything "was going to drop out".  With acupuncture, my fibroids began to shrink and during the 3 years before menopause things were much better.   1 year post menopause, my uterus size seemed to have shrunk, but the fibroids were still there.  I have had hardly any of the usual systems going through menopause...very few hot flashes in beginning and some mood changes and weight gain.  About 6 months ago, I noticed being kind of crampy off and on with an uncomfortable feeling, almost like I might ovulate.  It would go away and I wouldn't notice it for several months.  About a month ago, I began noticing it lasting longer and getting a lot of pressure like I had before with my fibroids.  I also felt bladdar pressure and a lot of bloating... and eventually ended up with a UTI infection three weeks ago....white cells and blood in my urine.  After two rounds of antibiotics, that has seemed to clear up.  

However, now I am left with this constant cramping and feeling of pressure.  My upper abdomial (abdominal) area is also uncomfortable and I ended up taking Previsit for bad GERD which my doctor contributed to the Cipro.  Last night I did a Castor Oil pack on my lower abdomen which helped so much...when I woke up this morning, I felt like I was ovulating and after going to the bathroom, noticed a lot of clear mucus just like I had when I was ovulating.  Would this be possible after not having a period for three years?.Why would I have cramping and pressure in my lower abdomen unless my fibroids have grown? Can fibroids grow after menopause?
I am overweight and have recently lost 15 lbs over about a 6 month period and been doing a lot of water aerobics.  Someone told me that sometimes when you loose weight, the estrogen in the fat is released and it can almost be like taking estrogen.  Is this right and if so could that make the fibroids grow?
I had an U/S last year and was told the fibroids were still there, but hadn't grown.  They could not see either ovary.
My doctor is going to schedule an MRI to check things further.  
I am wondering about hormone fluctuations after menopause if they can cause fibroids to grow again.
Thanks for your help