Menopause Expert Forum
discharge infection? help!

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

discharge infection? help!

so my mother has alot of allergies and one of them is to bubble bath last week i was feeling very sick and took alot of baths to calm my nerves i would say about 4 or  days in a row. using bubble bath, a few days after i became very itchy in my vagina so i used a cream for yeast infections i only used it for one day though. the itching continue and now it hurts and feels swollen and when i walk it hurts and when i pee it burns. i also have noticed my undies have been damp and im concerned. is this because of the bubble bath my mother said she got the same symptoms but i liek to be sure!?
Symptoms like yours could be from several things but it is very possible you are allergic to the bubble bath, just like your mom. Obviously, for now, stop using the bubble bath.  It is also a good idea to see your gynecologist to check for a urine infection and to be sure nothing else is the matter.

Sometimes benadryl 25 mg can help the itching. Other things that might help are placing Aveeno, a type of oatmeal bought in drug stores, into about 4 inches of very warm water in the tub and sit in it for about 15 to 20 minutes. That can be repeated daily for a few days and it should help with the itching. There is also an over the counter vaginal preparation called Rephresh that is placed into the vagina every 3 to 4 days to restore normal pH. Sometimes steroid creams like cortisone are needed. If these things don't work in a few days, definitely see your doctor.

Also, if you use bubble bath again, be sure to clean out the tub afterwards so your mom doesn't get an allergic reaction.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD