Menopause Expert Forum
endometrial biopsy

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

endometrial biopsy
Would an in-office endometrial biopsy that was performed during menstruation (heavy with clotting) be accurate?  Or should it be repeated after period ends?  Results were "benign proliferative tissue".   Thank you.
A. In general, a biopsy within 12 hours of the beginning of bleeding can be read fairly well.  The findings of
Thank you very much for your prompt reply! It was actually the 2nd day of bleeding (about 36 hours after onset) when the biopsy was done.  My obgyn would like for me to start Provera, and I am a little hesitant until I feel sure that the biopsy accurately ruled out anything serious.
I have been told I have an oversized uterus.  After a pelvic ultrasound results showed multiple fibroids and an inch thick uterine wall.  This procedure was done 4 days prior to my period which is why the uterine lining may have been so thick.  I wish the doctor would have mentioned to wait until afer my period, now I have to have a repeat.  If the same findings appear I will need to have a endometrial biopsy.  I am worried because I barely can make it through a pap smear, always very painful, I get very tense.  Can I request to be put anesthesized?