Menopause Expert Forum
endometrium thickening

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

endometrium thickening

I have had a very heavy period and was sent for a trans vaginal scan which reported uterus retroverted.
Also endometrium thickening 16mm.  An a right oveary cyst thin walled and measuring 46mmx46mmx40mm biocular.
please explain what could be causing this.
You have several findings. A retroverted uterus just means your uterus is tipped backward. This is normal and is very common. An endometrial lining of 16 mm means the uterine lining is somewhat thicker than is usual. For menopausal women not on hormones, the endometrial lining is typically 4 millimeters or less. On estrogen it can be more. In women who have not gone through menopause, the lining usually gets thicker when the woman is on estrogen or has a cyst making estrogen or just does not ovulate for a long time but is still having some egg production. Since we don't know your age, surgical history or if you have entered menopause, it is hard to say what is going on. The fact that the cyst has compartments in it makes it harder to say what type or cyst it is. It could be totally benign and go away on its own or may have to be removed. Your doctor may want to check the lining tissue and schedule another ultrasound in a month to three months to see if the cyst goes away.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
I'm 45 and not going through my menopause.  Also no previous surgery.  O no medication