Menopause Community
gush of clear vaginal fluid tinged with old blood after menopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Hi, Could someone please tell me if this is something normal or if I need to see my doctor or if you have any idea what this is all about...almost 2 years ago my gyno did an ablation because I was having very heavy periods that lasted for weeks at a time. The ablation did not work and he wanted to do a total hysterectomy, however, I then contracted h1n1 and pnuemonia (pneumonia) and was hospitlized for a couple of weeks and he then wanted to wait at least 6months until my lungs were strong enough for the surgery.  Well all of a sudden I stopped having my periods and I haven't had one in over a year so I never went back to the gyno for the hysterectomy. Then the other day I was just sitting and suddenly I felt a gush of fluid and when I checked it was almost like I was pregnant and my water broke...it was clear but tinged with brown (old) blood. this continued for the entire day...it was mostly clear fluid running out. I have felt pressure in my pelvic area for several months (I can't really say it's that painful...it's mostly uncomfortable pressure). I am 52 and I am diabetic as well.
I would really really appreciate any insight you could give me on this.
One more thing...I have heard that after a hysterectomy that when you start on hormones that women will put on a substanial amount of weight. Is that true?
Thanks again.
If you figure it out please share because I have been to my gyno and he looks at me like I have 2 heads.  I told him what originally brought me there was because I had mid cycle spotting then I had gushes of fluid sometimes tinged with blood.  Just the same as when you water breaks it was quite upsetting really when no one can tell you what it is.  The then discovered I had this 5 cm hemorrhagic cyst that didn't break for 6 months and I said maybe that was the reason.  He said no that when cysts break they don't come through the vagina they are absorbed into the abdominal cavity.  I really don't believe this because when the cyst did finally break I knew it because I got that same clear fluid.  My ultra sound was due at the same time and the US tech asked me if I was having a period because she could see fluid coming down through my cervix which tells me that when the cyst breaks it does leak fluid out.
hi.   wow it sounds like your not having allot of support from ur consultant at all.  have you tried looking in to finding  another consultant that would support you more better then the one u have now?.  hope to hear from u soon.  
I'm going to the gyno on Monday and I will let you know what he says. My doctor is usually very thorough and I feel comfortable he'll find out what's wrong. I am just worried that it will lead to a hysterectomy, which I really dread. I have heard horror stories about them. I will let you know what the doctor says.
That would be great!
I asked to see a oncologist when my CA125 was 84 but they said to send me for a MRI which I never received.
i was just wondering if you ever found out what the gush of fluid was? i have been experiencing that for 15 yrs now and nobody seems to care whats going on with me. mine only happens at night when im asleep but mine is clear with no blood. i have seen about 6 different drs for this and they all do pelvic exams find nothing and send me on my way. i even been told by 1 gyno that my problem could be due to having seizures. i looked at him like he had 2 heads. this happens to me every 5-6 months like clockwork and i believe myself that it is a cyst that takes that long to fill and then bursts. nobody agrees with me but i feel they have no clue what it is so i just made up my own conclusion. it is very scary to have this happen and drs just think your nuts!! thats why i quit going to them. i hope you had better luck and found out what it was...best wishes
Hi, did you find out what your problem was with the fluid?  I have the same thing every single month at ovulation time (for years), and the Dr. can't figure it out either. I have a 3mm cyst, but he also told me if it burst, it would be absorbed by the abdominal cavity....
I had the same thing happen three times, with the first time being a large amount of clear fluid tinged with red blood.  Then it occurred a couple more times in the next few months, but just clear fluid with no blood, and not as much as fluid as the first time, which was like having your water break in pregnancy.  My gyn MD claimed she had no idea what was causing this, that she had never heard of such a thing.
I have had a smelly liquid go down my leg for the past week.  Did you ever find out what yours was?  Did yours have a smell