help with menopause sympthoms
hi
i am 51 got hit hard this year with the hot flashes the rest i can pretty much handle but the sweats are out of control and interupting my good nite sleep.  just started taking black cohash dont wanna take hormones did for 3 weeks put on 5 lbs and stopped it right away. any advice would be helpful not getting much from regular doctor.

sincerly
jane
Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about the hot flashes but my friend went to a natural food store and gave her something from the menopause section that made her much better.  Buy a small fan and keep it on your night stand.  Mine is on all the time, even in the winter.  Cold water with ice works great when you get it.  I wouldn't take hormones so I just dealt with it.  I started menopause at 50 and now I'm 56 and I still get them but only once in awhile.  Don't take meds, they all have side effects and when your older you need to be more careful.  Hang in there.

Emily
Does anyone know if the Natural Progesterone Cream sold at drugstores and over the counter work?  I saw that on the menopause site for suggestions for hot flashes.
I can completely understand your problems.  I had a total hysterectomy July 2007.  Started having SEVERE hot flashes and night sweats the same night in the hospital.  I've tried 3 NON-HRT prescriptions (clonidin, effexor, cymbalta). They all worked somewhat for about 2 months but then the side-effects took over and were worse than how much relief I got.  From everything I've read (WebMD, Mayoclinic website etc.) the "natural" cures are not worth the expense.  I tried the soy-black cohosh remedy and couldn't see any change.  I plan to talking to my Dr about estrogen relacement because these problems are controlling my life.
Here's a couple non-medical things I do.   I have 2 fans on my desk. 1 towards my face and 1 on the floor.  I go to bed each night with an ice pack. If I wake up hot I just grab it and it helps a lot. I have icewater handy at all times.  I hope these help and look forward to hearing from you.
I just talked to my doctor today because for about 3 weeks now I have the night sweats through the night alot and I'm not getting good sleep.  I didn't want to do any hormone therapy.  I just wanted something natural that work for hot flashes.  She told me Black Cohosh or Estroven.  I'm looking for them tomorrow.  

First thing is make sure you've just had your thyroid tested and it's normal because symptoms of peri-menopause can be the same for thyroid.  Also make sure you've had a yearly physical so they know everything is ok.

Postie
I've had hot flashes for about 3 weeks and it was horrible trying to sleep at night.  So I put a fan on the stand by my bed last night and had it on all night and I didn't have any hot flashes.  I finally got a good nights sleep.  It worked.  I was so happy.  It kept me cool because I had it blowing on part of my head and my arms.

Postie