Menopause Community
hot flashes at the age of 20

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

hot flashes at the age of 20

I am only 20 and i get these really bad hot flashes and i know i am too young to be going through menopause... Could this be a side effect of the depovera shot i am on... or could this be a sign of not getting enough activity or being over weight??? i just want to know what is causing these hot flashes
I get the same hot flashes Shalise explained. i get really hot all the sudden sometimes. I will be sitting at me desk and get really hot, or i'll walk to the bathroom and back and i feel like i'm about to sweat. i get them VERY often. I am not on any birth control method like she is. No shot or anything. and i am not overweight. i weigh about 103-105lbs. I dont know what it is, but i'd like some answers, i am WAAAY too young to be going through menopause, what can it be??
Other things can cause hot flashes besides menopause including some drugs, spicy foods, cancer (not likely, especially if you are young), and hypERparathyroidism.  That is something you might want to ask your doctor about--to check your thyroid levels.  Just as people with hypoparathyroidism often feel cold, people with hyperparthryodism often feel warm/overheated.  
The above post was meant for you too--I forgot to put your name in the To: section.  You might want to ask your doctor about hyperparathyroidism and also see if your Depot-Provera shots could be causing the hot flashes.  
I did not mean to write hyperPARAthyroidism can cause hot flashes, I meant to write hyperthyroidism (totally different condition!).  I also did not mean to write hypoPARAthyroidism can cause a cold feeling but hypothyroidism instead (again, totally different).  Sorry, I was tired last night and had parathyroid disease on my brain for another reason.  I apparently spelled a lot of words wrong as well.  

So, again, hyperthyroidism can cause one to feel hot or to have hot flashes, and you might want to ask your doctor about have your thyroid levels checked being that you are both young.  
I forgot to mention that I am having regular peroids ( if that helps any).
I have been checked for Thyroid issues with normal results. My mother has Graves diesease, but my tests have come back normal. Yet, I am having severe hotflashes at age twenty-one. I was recently on birth control. I have since stopped, however my flashes continue with the slightest provocation. What could it be. My doctor treats it as if it were a small thing. It is not a small thing to me! At all!
Lots of things can cause hot flashes including different foods (hot peppers, caffeine, alcohol) and food additives.  So can certain drugs.  I don't know if the BCP or hormones you were on can cause them or not (if they can, and you haven't been off them for long, then possibly that is the cause--that is something you should ask your doctor; I don't know the answer to that).  Are you on any other meds?  Some drugs for depression, anxiety, high blood pressure and probably others can sometimes cause hot flashes.  There are also some drugs used for depression that are known to *help* with hot flashes.

But being that your mother has Graves disease, and it can run in families, if I were you I would have your thyroid levels checked again.  I don't know much about Graves but I do know that thyroid levels as well as other hormone and antibody levels fluctuate from one blood test to the next--nothing is black and white--and it's possible you still might have Graves disease and that is the cause of your hot flashes.  If I were you I would try to get a question in on the Med Help thyroid forum.  Tell him about your hot flashes, that you are only 21 and having regular periods, that you were tested for hyperthyroidism but your thyroid levels came back normal, and be sure to mention that your mom has Graves disease---and ask if it is still possible that you have it in spite of the negative test results.    
Thanks! I will do that. I don't really trust my doctor.
So ok im 21 and im 108lbs im not on birth control i havent had my period since jr year in high school and i get realy realy bad hot flashes all the time like 10 times a day and they are getting worse i get realy hot start to sweat my heart beats realy fast and i get realy thirsty ive had my blood tested and they say its normal and im just irregular but im convinced there is more to it anyone got any ideas??

I used to get hot flashes in my 20s.  I would literally sweat.  Especially if I was nervous.   I am convinced mine was "all" nerves.  Anyway, it got better as I got older!!  I am now 50 and going through menopause....  NO Night Time Sweats like everyone else!!!!  
Hi, my name is Melanie. I just recently turned 20 years old. I've had an issue with heat for about a year now. Last year around this time I went on a cruise in the Southern Caribbean and passed out (probably from a combination of heat and dehydration). Ever since, I have had these feelings similar to hot flashes. It's a heat that is unbearable and absolutely unexplainable. I have been to over 10 doctors and have had every blood test possible. I just recently found out I have low blood pressure, in which I have to be on two different medications. The doctors said the heat could have something to do with that but today I once again got a "hot flash". My hot flashes do not go away either. I feel like this for usually the whole day and it's almost like a dry sweat. I feel as if I am sweating consistently but I'm not. I try so hard to explain this feeling but it's something that words cannot describe. Before this all happened I worked out every single day and ate healthy. I still like to consider myself a healthy person but it's tough when I feel sick all the time. I am slightly skinny and try to stay active. I do not know what to do anymore. Any ideas?
I have been getting hot flashes for about 10 years, I'm 29. I was on deporava for years but have been off it for 7 years. Lately I get them so bad that it causes a panic, I have to leave the room, or take offf my sweater, or run to the bathroom because I feel sick. Both my sister and my mom have an under active thyroid. I'm worried about the cancer comment thouggh, I have also been constantly sick for the last 4 months, and I suffer from insomnia.

S
I am 19 and i have hotflashes too . i literally starrt to sweat and my face gets all red and usually i get a sick feeling like my body feels weak. i have also had blood tests that all came out normal. i have along with hotflashes been having problems with dizziness for which i have just gotten a brain mri done. i have not gotten the results back. this all recently started about 3 months ago out of the blue. i think it might be alot to do with stress
I get hot flashes started around 30 years old. I get dizzy, sweaty and feel horrible.I recently did some lab work and it revealed hyperthyroidism. Also it is possible to have perimenopause symptoms as early as your 20's.
Hey Everyone,
    I related most with the first poster who initiated this conversation, dezzielou. I am 22, I have Fibromyalgia which goes "hand in hand" with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, as well as Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome. The only medication I am on is Birth Control, Alesse brand, because without it I do not get a regular period. However, I am beginning to think I should go off it...wondering if it's linked to these hot flashes. I also have painful mesturation, but I am pretty much always uncomfortable down in that area, my ovaries are always bothering me, tight, stabbing feelings, random severe and sharp stabbing pains when I stand up or cough while laying down in bed...yeah, definetely not fun. When it comes to hot flashes, all I can say is there has been a few times when I actually got the chance to take a cool shower, and the water literally lands on my body cool and comes off of it warm! I also have taken my temperature many times during a hot flash and it's still normal. I used to only get them once in a while, then they slowly became more frequent over the recent months, even during the winter to which I would just step outside for relief...but within the last two-three months its become rediculous. I definetely choose my clothes wisely, removable items are an asset - and now that it's summer, you'll often find me with my head in the freezer!
          Anyway, I don't know what is causing my hot flashes. I am overweight, partially due to PCOS, partially due to heredity and mostly due to lifestyle...which isn't exactly sedentary, but not exactly active...I don't exactly eat unhealthy, but I don't just eat healthy either. I have gotten blood tests for thyroid problems and they have never found anything, although my grandma does have thyroid issues. The tricky thing is that doctors often turn their shoulder to people with Fibromyalgia because it really is a mysterious and annoying conditon to treat as a doctor and cope with as a patient. It is known to cause "temperature sensitivity" which I suppose could be considered hot flashes...but I don't typically get chilled. The painful mestration and all around discomfort could be related to the fact that Fibromylagia (fibromyalgia) is a chronic pain condition, which means a hightened senstivity to pain/sensations...and because I have PCOS, I do still have cysts on my ovaries even if they aren't increasing in number...so maybe, just maybe, these are the cause for my hot flashes. What explains the random increase in frequency and intensity of them? I don't know, nothing else has changed. *sigh* It's like, do I go to the doctor only to be told "theres nothing wrong with you, this is just the Fibro, as is everything else...blabla" or could it be something I should probably be paying attention to....I never know anymore.
I've been getting hot flashes for about two years now. I am 19 years old. It happened twice when I was seventeen and then went away all together. I live in LA and it was about 95 degrees outside today. I experienced three different hot flashes today. I literally sweat profusely and it doesn't stop for about thirty minutes. I feel weak the entire time. I am not on my period, or even close to it, I just had it a week and a half ago. My cycle has been a little messed up considering that I just started college in August. I don't know if this is anything serious, or even related to the two hot flashes years ago. All I know is that it worries me and I want it to stop. Should I go see a doctor and get tested? Or should I wait a few more days and see if it keeps happening? It has just been really annoying today and this has never happened to me like this before. If anyone has any ideas that could help me I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!!
Everything I read explain that hot flashes by themselves do not necisarily mean that you are going through menopause. It's the combination of hot flashes and irregular periods; irregular periods being the largest indicator. And menopause is defined by the lack of a period for 12 months. That's what I've read. So if you are having hot flashes and regular periods, you might want to look into other things as well. I myself, have started hot flashes a few months ago and have not had a cycle in 4 months. I'm only 28 so I'm hoping it's not menopause. But considering my tender breast and extreem mood swings, it probably is. Everyone, Keep us posted on what you find out.
I am 20 and i have a 15 month old baby and i am having severe hot flashes i have hypothyroidism and they are trying to regulate my thyroid level it is 16 and its not suppose to be over 4.0 could that be the cause on my hot flashes?
Sounds similar hon im 38 and had it over a year, when it first started i feinted and got tendonitus - like tightening through hands and back was awful, was very dizzy and sometimes came over really week and disorientated and couldnt get my words out - I scared myself stupid looking at causes on the internet, i was very emotional. Now i just suffer tiredness, Waking up cos of flushes and generally have a flush an hour or two hourly x I can have three months of periods then none for four with the flashes, if im flashin i know i wont come on that month x I am diagnosed pre menopause. I tried HRT but it sent me crazy so came off dont think my levels are low enough yet xx Does it sound familiar xx
I am just about to turn twenty and I haven't had a period for 9 months. I was on birth control for 2 years then stopped and just never got it again. They have given me blood tests and thyroid tests but don't see any thing wrong. I get hot flashes and I can hardly sleep or eat. I am not over weight and actually just gained a few pounds. It worries me horribly and just found out that early menopause is a real thing that happens to more people than we think. Does anyone have any other opinions BC I am to be married in July and I really don't know how to tell my fiance that I am only twenty going through menopause.
hot flashes like crazy and taking thyroid medication ( my thyroid has been checked and its normal with all other labs) sugar medicaation and have been taking clomid but i also get so nervous im cold along wiht my hotflashes and losing sleep too! i need help!
I am 30 and have been having hot flashes for about two weeks now. I have not been sleeping, I feel weak, I am tired all the time...just plain miserable. All my female freinds and female co-workers think I'm nuts. I have also been having sever migraine headaches, but the doctor gave me meds to stop that. I am making an appointment with my GYN for next month. I can't keep being miserable. I am glad I found this blog because I now know that I am not crazy and am not the only one going through this. I can say that my stress level has increased drastically and I am wondering if it is a contributor. I originally thought I was having panic attacks. I wish everyone luck in finding answers.
i'm 20 and have always had some issues with my period. ie. unberable cramps. also, i've had some issues with hair (facial and chest mostly). i used to be on BC but stopped becuase i felt like it was making me emotional. but recently in the past 6 months or so i've become extremely irregular and experiencing hot flashes and night sweats. i wake up in the middle of the night soaked...and in the middle of the day my heart starts racing, my face turns red and im over taken by the heat. i haven't had my period in a little over two months (im almost positive im not pregnant but i havent taken a test yet) im baffled as to what this could be considering im only 20! i guess i should go to the doctors but does anyone have an idea what is going on with me?
also, i've had a migrane (migraine) or headache every day for amost a month now...usually when im the most tired during the day...i've only been sleeping 4 to 5 hours a night and can't ever fall asleep. i always feel tired and week. i have no energy anymore.
I am 23, here's my story. Its very embarassing to talk to anyone about this. i feel for you ladies. I cant even seem to get myself to go out on dates because im nervous just thinking im gona have a hot flash. when that happens i run off to the bathroom in a hurry and put my hands under cold running water. It started when i was about 20. I would only notice it when i got reallllllllyyy angry ( was in a dispute.) but now it has escaladed to an everyday thing. In class when we have to speak up i get red. There is a pattern ive noticed.. Here it is please guys i need feed back.. if we work at this together i know we can find answers.. as i already have.
1) Alcohol triggers it 100%!! especiallllllyyy wine. I stopped drinking about two years ago. It ***** being so young and not being able to enjoy myself.
2) Cofffee.
3) Spicy foods
4) when i take hot baths or showers i get reaaaalllyy red like a lobster especially my chest.
You can often see me fanning myself.. just today i was in class and everyone was complainin g how they were cold and were dressed in sweaters.. me.. well i was " is it hot in here?" ppl looked at me like  i was insane.

So yeah for food and drinks those were the top things^^^^^

As for emotional this is when i notice it:
1) feeling of being put on the spot, ( its wierd because i am very confident. i have a very loud upbeat, talking personality. so this " hot flashing/embarassment feeling does not fo hand in hand.. it confuses me.
2) Anger, Jealousy, you guys are going to laugh but when i talk on the phone with my ex ( recent) i always broke out in this redness on my chest and even neck. I noticed it when id go to a mirror.
3) Even when people compliment me ( ex: hey there you got some nice style girl" I turn beet red!.. but why.. i do not undestand.
I am not cocky guys buy i am confident. It hassssss to be something bigger. what is it ?

OKAY SO i rambled here a bit now for treatments.. heres what helps.. hellllpsss but not prevents notice the difference! its diminished the amount of time i get them.. used to be every hour or so. nowto maybe 2 times a day.. still alot! Betablockers.. Metraprolol. Im on them. i take 1 a day around noon. It decreases your heart beat and makes you more calm.
2) another good one is i set the A/C on nice and cool.. around 70.
3) Fan
4) drink alot of cool water
5) run the inside of my wrists under cold water.

Anyways about me as a person:
I am very healthy, i eat an amazingly clean diet. I mainly eat fruits and veggies. For meat i only eat chicken and seafood. and im dairy and gluten free ( by choice not because im a Celiac or Lactose intolarant.
I also suffer a little bit of Melia ( its these tiny little pimple like bumps.) but not acne. i get them lasered off by my derm every couple of months. tell me if any of you have these on your face. because maybe there is a link here! i can ramble on for ever..hahaha
MILIA is the little bump condition
I am 24 and have the same hot flashes many of you have described.  Sometimes I just feel warm and start to feel sick, other times I get extremely hot and start to sweat and my face turns beat red.  I was always very skinny and weighed about 103 pounds for the past 6 years, however in the past year since these hot flashes have started I have gained 26 pounds and have not been able to stop.  6 of those pounds were gained in a matter of a wk and half.  I was checked for a thyroid problem and my doctor said the results came back fine.  I just don't get it
I also suffer from the same condition and also it happens during the same situations. I found out its a condition called erythrophobia or spontaneous facial  blushing. I get red on my face, chest and arms. There is also a condition called hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), I dont do the sweating just the hot flashes or blushing. Some people do both or one of the two. There is a clinic in Hallandale, FL which can treat some of the symptoms. The web site is www.handsweat.com. They may be able to help you or someone here. I did not pursue the treatment since it it a medical procedure and if you just have the blushing without the sweating it is not covered by insurance. So if you have insurance say you also sweat if you want to get the proceudre done. I hope this helps some of you here.
Im 25 and i get hot flashes,i have a steady period but sometimes i cant sleep and i also have trouble getting pregnant.help me please no insurance for a doc.any cheap doctors or free?or any advice
im 24 get period cramps 2 week before im due on drip pee and get very bad hot flushes can please help
ashley  
I am 19 &&I have a 16 month old baby. I recently started getting hot flashes &&I get them all the time. they get me running to the bathroom feeling sick or undressing as much as possible.  I am on the birth control the IUD. I haven't had my period in about 9, maybe 10 months. I am worried what's wrong with me. especially after reading all the other girl's comments.. it couldnt be menopause could it.?
yeah, i get the same thing, even if i'm just lazing on the couch. I'm only 16, i'm 5 foot 7, and only weigh 54kg's... so i'm not over weight. i really have no idea what it is, but it's really annoying for situations in public and at school etc. I have very low blood pressure, which means i get dizzy alot, but i cannot find anything about it being related to this. :(
I'm only 20 an on my period an I'm having hot flushes n camps an keep felling dizzy am I going through the menopause
This is basicly my life to except in about 2 months I gained 68 LBS with no diet or excersise change. I have had my thyroid tested over 4 times and a sonogram to see if there was anything wrong. I have recently started also noticing unwanted hair growing in places it shouldn't be! I have to shave under my arm pits daily and by the time I get home from work they need it again and If I don't have them covered up it is like some one put sand paper under there. I can't find a dr. who can help me solve the problem because they think I am making a big deal out of these issues but I am not! I swell so bad when I have these hot flashes and my feet go numb! I am lost and don't know what to do! Any insight would be great.
Hi ladies, I doooo feel for you. I am 35 and hot flushes in the face are pretty much a daily thing for me since my late 20s. It is really annoying. I have had tests on blood and stuff over the years and the doctors could not find anything. Unfortunately my hot flashes have triggered panic attacks along the years although I am somewhat more able to manage them now. I do suffer from anxiety in general but I really dont think hot flashes are the result of stress or anxiety as they happen almost every evening even if I am just watching TV in the most relaxed state. I get red in the cheeks and have tried everything from wet wipes on the face to frequent washing of the face or drinking lots of water. have no idea on what remedy works really. Been reading a lot of advice on the net but dont wanna be on any meds for this, but open to natural remedies. Somebody please tell me it gets better with age. I am so afraid what might happen in 10 years with menopause at this rate. But it is sort of a relief to se that there are so many sufferers and apart from the embarrassment and the discomfort it is not really life threatening which was what I used to agonize and have panic attacks over.
By the way my weight is normal. I exercise regularly though not vigorously. I am not on any medicines and apart from having a slightly low blood pressure everything seems to be normal.
I'm 26 years old. I've been on the pill for many years now I can't remember how long it's been. Suddenly I'm getting sweaty hands, cold and hot fleshes, insomnia, very bad mood swings and my current period dark and heavy. Am I going through premature menopause?
Hi Ladies!

I am 31 years old and my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the past year. I have not had a period for several months so I went to my OBGYN and they took an ultrasound and blood tests. Later, I found out I had Polycystic Ovary Syndrome aka PCOS . Well then about a month later I started in get hot flashes and night sweats, trouble sleeping and very irritable. Needless to say, I went back to see my OBGYN this time told her the symptoms I had been having and took several blood tests to check hormone levels and thyroid. Within a couple days my Dr called me and told me she thought I have Premature Ovarian Failure which is early menopause and worse, infertility. I am going to see an Endocrinologist next week. I am thinking about all of you everyday and wishing you the best of luck.
I MAY HAVE THE ANSWER FOR SOME OF YOU YOUNG LADIES OUT THERE !! I was going thru the same thing, hot flashes at 31 and now, at 32, I rarely ever get them.  

First a brief description of what I was going thru. I have never had a normal menstrual cycle. Id seem regular for a few months here and there and then it would be six seven eight months before Id get another one. I began having babies when I was twenty five, one every two years. After my third I began to get Hot Flashes when he was almost completely weaned. It was very scary for me. They started about once every two weeks, then once a week, then three times a week, and just kept progressing until I was getting them every night without fail and sometimes during the day as well. They were very intense, especially at night and they would sometimes last for three hours without a break for more then two minutes.
Sometimes they were so bad I would feel physically sick. I also noticed as time went on that I was getting frustrated, even angry, way to easily- I am normally a very calm, patient person. I was so worked up over this that I began to get chest pains, which freaked me out even more, to the point were I even had a panic attack one night. I was very scared, I was not this kind of person! Panic attacks didnt just happen to me, I was a easy going sane person! One day I had a hot flash and then became very angry and emotional for no reason. I started crying and panicked, I called my hubby. We had to do something. I dont go to the DR unless I have no choice. I decided to go to health food store and talk to nutritionist first. SHe explained to me that my hormones were unbalance because my brain was depleted of essential oils and nutrients. And since the brain controls everything, including hormones...She gave me a raw whole food daily womans vitamins, Vitex (the chaste tree), and Fish oils, specifically Oceans Three. My chest pains and attack was stress from my imbalance. I noticed improvements right away, tho I still would get HFs, but there was a major improvement. I have been on these three vitamins for 7 months now and I rarely get HF. My chest pains are GONE and no panic attacks. I feel like a miracle has taken place!!! On top of vitamins, she gave me nutrients to take 3x a week: ground flax seeds, oat bran and yellow yeast flakes. I stopped taking my vitamins 2 months ago and ten days later my HF came back with a fierceness. I went back on them right away and they are almost completely gone again! On the occasion I feel the beginnings of one, I take fish oils and vitex and they disappear in twenty minutes !!! One more tip- In those first few hard months, going to sleep with a cold wash cloth on my head also helped.  Since Ive been helped so tremendously, I thought Id share. I dont advise not going to see a DR, but if that doesnt work for you, I encourage you to do what I did ! _Mrs. M
Hi there ! Im new to this site so I dont know how it works...I commented in the general forum but decided to answer ur post personally as I think I can help you. I was experiencing the same thing as you, perhaps even worse as I was physically sick from those dreaded hot flashes! Im 32 btw. I totally understand and sympathize with the panic attacks as well. I would get so worked up my arm would even go numb !! In desperation, I went to see a health nutritionist who specialized in womans health. She told me I wasnt going crazy or dying, it was simply an imbalance in my brain. I was lacking essential oils and nutrients that it needed to function optimally. She put me on a raw daily womans vitamin, fish oils (Oceans Three specifically) and Vitex (the chaste tree berry). I started out taking the fish oils 2xs a day, 3 in the morning and 3 at night. Vitex 2 in the morning, 2 at night and the womans vitamins as directed. On top of that, I take nutrients: 2 tsp of ground flax seeds, oat bran and yellow yeast flakes 3xs a week.  7 months later, I am almost completely better. She warned me it would be a long process, but not to give up. I noticed progress right away. I hadnt had a period in months (Ive always been irregular) and two days after starting the regimen I got my period! Ive been regular ever since. A couple months ago I thought I was finally over it, having not had a HF in three weeks and I stopped taking the oils and vitex. Ten days later they came back with a fierceness!! I will not stop taking them now, it may be something I have to stay on forever, I dont care! It works! I encourage you to try the regimen. Good luck!  Kind regards, Mrs M