Menopause Expert Forum
hot flashes

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

hot flashes
I took HRT for almost 10 years.  Then, I stopped in April of this year with doctor agreement.  However, I have been suffering horribly with hot flashes.  How long does this last after stopping HRT?  It really is interfering with life and sleep.
If you have been on HRT for 10 years, your body is very used to it. About 40% of women who began taking estrogen due to hot flashes get the symptoms of hot flashes back when they stop estrogen. The best thing to do is to taper off the estrogen slowly. It can take up to 3 months or even longer. Some women just seem to suffer with hot flashes even if they taper off their dose. For them, they need to decide if taking a small dose of estrogen is acceptable and if they want to stay on that for a year or so and try tapering off again from that lower estrogen level.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD