Menopause Community
hot flashes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

hot flashes

I'm a 66 year old female.  I had a partial hysterectomy in 1988.  I've been on Premarin for the last 15years.  Since January I've been taking my pill every other day & it's the lowest dose.  The hot flashes are horrible.  I don't have night sweats anymore but my hot flashes are daily.  I also take Effexor twice a day.   What can I do?
Hi Phyl!

Wow, after 15 years on Premarin you're still having to face the demon. How sad!

I’ve heard many women say that the hot flashes came back when they tried to wean themselves off of the hormones, even after taking them for years. But it’s good to hear that at least you’re not suffering from those nasty night sweats. As bad as the hot flashes were, those were the worst for me. When you can’t sleep, everything falls to pieces!

Have you tried any herbal products? I know that most  doctors don’t take them seriously, but they can make a WORLD of difference, at least for many of us. I quit Premarin cold turkey last December because it was giving me horrible side-effects - aching joints, edema and TERRIBLY sore breasts. When I quit, the hot flashes and night sweats came raging back, and it seemed like they were even worse than when I started the hormones.

Granted, we’re not exactly comparing apples to apples, as I had only taken Premarin for four months (I’m 49), but the thing that really saved my skin was an herbal liquid called Wisdom Menopause Formula.

For me it started working very fast, the night sweats stopped after only a few days, and the hot flashes soon became noticeably weaker and fewer. I’ve been taking it for just over four months now, and it has done everything I had hoped the Premarin would, and it has really helped to lower my anxiety and stress levels as well.

When I find something that works as well as the Wisdom has for me, I want to share it with everyone! I sent a bottle to my sister who is 63 and had always refused to take any medication, and it has worked marvelously for her as well, though it took a bit longer for her to notice the difference.

I realize that we’re all different, and there doesn’t seem to be any “cure-all” that works for everyone, but the herbal products really do work for many of us, and you may want to talk to your doctor about that option.

Take care!

Lisa