Menopause Expert Forum
irregular periods

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

irregular periods

hello doctor this is swapna my age is 26 and i got marriege 3years back but i have no kids  actully my problem am suffering from irregular periods this month i got period within 17 days and iam getiing bleeding very less so i went to doctor she says you have right overy cyst so thats why you occuring like this is threr any problem for me actully 2year back only i had laproscopy for right overy cyst this is the problem plese give me suggestion thanking you.
How to treat a cyst depends on what type of cyst it is. It sounds like the one you have is not a bad one but I can't know that for sure. Usually the ones that are not bad look clear on an ultrasound. Ask your doctor about that.

Often the cysts go away on their own in a few months. If not, sometimes they have to be removed. If the cyst is clear and does  not go away on its own, some doctors will drain the cyst fluid using ultrasound in the office.

Once the cyst goes away, it may help to go on the birth control pill for a while until you want to have kids to stop the cysts from forming. Also, have your doctor check your blood count and test your iron level. Your blood count might be low from the bleeding and you could be low on iron. It often helps to take a multivitamin and take an iron pill from the drug store for 3 - 6 months. If you are overweight, it can help to lose weight, even 5-10 pounds can help.
Also, some irregular bleeding is caused by a thyroid gland problem. Your doctor can test for this with a blood test for TSH. The hormone prolactin can also be elevated and cause irregular cycles.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD