Menopause Community
leg weekness, wobbly head and eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

leg weekness, wobbly head and eyes

The last 6 months have been challenging to say the least.  Every test in the book I have been given.  The last is a spinal tap for ms.  I am really scared.  My legs are week and feel disconnected to my body at times.  I also have anxiety attacks even with enjoyable situations.  I walk my dogs in the morning thinking this will help relieve the stress but come back exhausted, weak legs, wobbly head and with little will to continue the day.  The smallest thing can turn me upside down.  This started about two months ago.  My legs started feeling heavy then weak.  Hot flashes, anxiety attacks are more evident at night.  I sometimes can't even see straight and feel nautious.  Now I am at the point were I dread starting the day knowing a long day is ahead of me with little activity I feel comfortable doing.  I love to garden, paint etc....My head gets heavy, legs  weak, eyes don't seem to want to focus right and I end up on the couch or bed.  Yuk!!!  Is this menopause?  Does anybody else have these symptoms and what do you do?  Why do perfectly once enjoyable tasks seem a hardship???  
I,m feeling the same way as you.Its hard to get through the day..your not alone.
Check out www.powersurge.com
Theres tons of info on there about Meno symptoms..alot of them you wont hear from a Doctor.
Melanie
Thanks for the reply.  Knowing someone is having the same symptoms relieves some of the stress.  I keep going to the ms web page in hope that there will be a sign that says "you do not have ms".  The symptoms are so much the same.  Doctors are not helping or comforting and I am tired of having test done.  I just want to wake up the next morning with my head clear and enjoy the day as once before.  Patience is a virtue.
Thanks again for the comments.  I will check out the web  for powersurge.
Anne
Please check out the website.Ive found it the best one so far..Woman going through everything you are going through. Your not alone i asure you.It doesnt make it any easier but at least you know that whever your feeling they have felt to.Most of us have had tons of tests because of course we think something terrible must be wrong..How can this be Menopause.For most of us the answers are always the same...NOTHING WRONG.Ive had so many tests done its unreal.FROM HEAD TO TOE.The only one that came back positive was Menopause. I havnt had a period in 6 months so essentially i,m considered Peri Menopausal..but my Doc told me looking at my numbers i,m definately Menopausal..ive gone past Peri. shame because i didnt get not one symptom  in Peri
Melanie
Yes, I have similar symptoms which have been helped  somehwhat by bioidentical hormones. Still have some anxiety, hot flushes, and any very hot temps outside/inside make me feel horrible.
I too have had every test and all negative except for hypothryoid.
I am only in perimenopause ( oh help me get thru the menopause part). I have a sister who has MS,  a mother who has early onset alzheimers- All  scarey for me.
Some days are great, others are pure heck. Wish I could figure out how to get all good days... DARN those hormones!!
Hi Melanie,
We will get thru this together.  I haven't had my blood tests taken for where I am at in the menopause thing but should find out.  I don't want it to come back that it is just the beginning.  Keeping an upbeat attitude is sometimes really difficult when the ole body is shaking and rattling.
Tell me about your day and how you get thru it.  If you are more active are your symptoms worse?  Last night I woke up in the middle of the night with a noise in my head, axiety attack and my body gave a big jerk.  It almost....almost doesn't scare me anymore because so many weird sensations have taken place the last month.  What next?
Are you working?  Staying at home?  It would be helpful to know what you do during the day for me to gage what I am doing.  Your symptoms and length of time not having a period is very similiar to mine.  Talking with friends who are feeling pretty normal is very hard on me.  I am glad for them but it would help talking to someone who is just getting thru the day too.  
Take care
Anne 56
Hi Anne
Well i work from home as a groomer but i,m still finding it very hard to cope and have told lots of my clients that i,m no longer grooming.I seem to be only able to do one or two dogs and only when i realy feel up to it. I seem to spend most of my time trying to get it together.I feel like the longer i stay in bed in the mornings the worse i feel.I feel somewhat better if i,m moving but find i get exhausted and cant wait for bedtime to roll around.I wake up several times during the night with hot flashes but i did just buy this thing called a cool touch comfort pillow. It has helped keep me cool.I just lay on it..used it for the first time last nigth and didnt wake up quite so much..
I dont know what to tell you about getting through the day.Its hard for me but whats the alternative.  I still have many moments of thinking that this cant be Menopause and theres something seriously wrong.Like you think you have MS. I dont know what i think i have but its very hard to just think Menopause. How can it be so brutal and how can woman cope day in and day out. I really think this brings abut the anxiety because we all tend to focus on it being something else. I never had problems in Peri obviously and was quite shocked when told i was MENO Because as i said its only been 6 months since a period..not a year like they tell you. I go back to have blood drawn the first week of July and then will see my GYN the second week..she wants to compare the two tests as she told me hormones fluctuate greatly.Then hopefully come up with a plan.I,m not expecting any magic pill but if i could feel half way better every day then i can cope.I really feel like right now i,m not coping to well and find myself hardly ever leaving the house and hating it when people come over because i cant find the energy to entertain them.My poor hubby has been a blessing but i feel so bad for him..he's lost his wife really
Please E mail me at my hotmail address is youde like to.Its ***@****
ALSO PLEASE CHECK OUT THAT WEBSITE I POSTED..ITS FULL OF SOME GREAT INFO AND WOMAN TALKING TO WOMAN ABOUT EVERY SYMPTOM YOU COULD THINK OF
Melanie
Hi Melanie,
Thanks so much for getting back with me.  It really helps to read your daily routine.  I don't want anybody to feel so crummy that they have a hard day but it does help me to feel like I am not alone.  Like you...if I get up in the morning and get going I am much better but I have to take a million breaks and just sit down and regroup.  Sometimes it is back in bed.  I had good intentions this  morning grocery shopping but anxiety took over and I couldn't put one foot in front of the other.  My husband has  been a blessing too.  I feel bad for him and apologize all the time.  I don't want visitors either and sometimes to just talk on the phone is difficult.
I would love to e-mail you but your e-mail address came back as ***@****.  Let me give you mine to see if we can connect.  ***@****
Thanks again for your reply.  Friends who are not feeling these symptoms give me all kind of encouragement like....join a yoga class....get a new hobby....take a trip.  Ugh!!!!  I just want to get thru the day!!!
Anne56
Hi Melanie,
I just wanted to let you know that I use to  groom dogs also.  I did it in my young twenties and loved it.  I never got back to it because of other life changes but it was fun and very rewarding.  I hope someday you will be able to return to it full time if that is what you choose.  My husband asked me last night what I wanted to do when I feel better.  I said.....everything!!! then started to cry.  I have been waking up in the middle of the night with panic attacks.  Right out of a sound sleep!!!  I too am heading to the docs at the end of this month to see what other options I have.  Like you...I think is there something really wrong?  When am i going to fall to pieces or collapse and then they will discover I have such and such.  
Please hang in there with me.  We will get through this and celebrate when it is done.  It will be done soon too!!!!  I keep telling myself that.  The hard thing is that it is not like a cold and you feel each day you are getting better.  Yesterday I had a somewhat decent day and then boom today I am not good at all.  For me that is what is so not fun.  Do you ever get breaks and feel like your old self? I have had hotflashes for the past two to three years off and on.  Not too bad.  I missed some sleep.  A month ago this hit like overnight and has continued since.  Somedays my spirit is better than others but mostly it is the same each day.  Anxiety, can't see right, weak legs...etc. Tell me more about you if you don't mind.
Anne56
Hi Anne.
I guss it wont let us leave E mail adresses on this board so i sent you a Private message and added you as a friend so you should be able to get it that way.
For me ive been sick since January with a chronic sinus infection and Peri satarted at the same tiem i think so i was never really suer what symptom went with what. I had sinus surgery May 3rd and when i didnt feel better afterwards(or only slightly) i realised all this was hormones. Its gotten worse i feel I dotn have any good days really. If i do its very brief and it can change i a minute. Its very disheartening .It really takes your life away. I to had the hot flahses for several years but nothign to bad and no other symptoms and this hit me like it did you...just all of a sudden..its like every hormone in your body just up and left and your body doeant know how to react.Let me know if you get my message and E mail address
I am going through that now. Its been over a year. Drs cant figure it out. I have so many symptoms. I am 47 & my life has stopped. Every minute of every day & night I suffer. No one understands. I cant work or do normal stuff. I just want to lay down & die. I am normally a happy people person,but this takes me away from people. I see my bed more than anything. I just got on here the other day. Wow, so many people going through what I go through. I am not crazy after all. I am going to specialist in two weeks & beg for hormone testing. This is my final straw. Cant hold on anymore. Hope you get the help you need.
are you still out there? I just started having these same issues. I need help. Did you make it thru? What helped/ didnt help?  
Yes I am making it but more than anything try not to be anxious about your symptoms and what is going on...it makes it worse.  The first three months of all this was to say the least, easy but as time goes on and you get closer to your first year of no periods it gets better.  Try not to eat sugar, caffeine or alcohol.  This will make your symptoms much worse.  I had a saliva test and urine test to find out what levels my hormones were.  My estrogen was fine but my progesterone was at the bottom of the scale.  If you can tell yourself that is the reason and not fret it makes it easier.  Also avoid stress at all cost.
It is madening that docs do not know more about this but they do not.
I wanted to get back to you right away.  You are not alone and this meno has made me feel near death also.  Do not despair, it will get better.  I am coming up on a year of the worst symptoms (docs can't find anything wrong) and I have to say they are subsiding somewhat.  One thing I did do that relieved my fears is I had a saliva test and urine test for my hormone counts.  It showed that my progesterone was extremely low and estrogen is fine.  The normal blood test do not pinpoint exactly what hormones your body is lacking so you might want to give it a try.  If you need help locating a doc that does these tests let me know because the one I found is a gem and she mails them right to your home and you can do a phone conference with her.  She is great and relieved much of my anxiety.
My life stopped too.  It has been frustrating but if you can keep stress, sugar, alcohol and caffeine out of your life you will feel better during this time and not have so many ups and downs.  Snowflake and I have been e-mailing almost everyday since this has started and it has helped relieve some anxiety to talk it out.  (my family has been great but they do not want to hear about it everyday)  Sometimes you just need to tell someone how bad you feel.
Keep your chin up....this does pass.  Write back if you can.
Hi Anne thank you for sharing, i thought i had lost my mind and the world crashed. I have anxiety and depression going on with this crud. I am 47, almost 8 months since my last period. I am chronically flush faced and shaky. Feel so distatched from others. Good to know I'm not alone
I too am having someof the same symptoms as you.  I thought I was either going crazy or have MS or maybe a brain tumor.  I suffer from anxiety, I hate leaving the house. cant stand to be around people. My legs get wobbly and weak sometimes.  I use to enjoy walking but I hardly go any more because my legs get weak and my head feels wobbly then I get anxiety and dizziness and cant enjoy my walk.  i have insominia, only sleeping 2-3 hours a night. hotflashes, my head feels heavy and and feel funny, I get tired easy, I have palpatations, panic attacts and I always feel off balanced.  my hair is thinning, my skin is dry and my libido is little to nothing. I feel like I have aged 10 years.  I hate going to work each day because it takes everything I have just to get through it. I just want to stay in bed but the longer I stay in bed the worse I feel. I exercise, take vitamins,  try to eat right and drink plenty of fluids but it doesn't help.  I've been to different doctors had several test done.  they can't find anything so they put me on Xanax and recommends Celexa for depression.  I just can't seem to enjoy life any more I havent felt good in two years. its like this is not me.  what happened to the person I use to be? Each day is such a struggle.  I may feel good for just a few minutes sometimes but not much more then that. I envy women who don't go through this. its really disrupting my life. I just wish I could feel normal again.  It is really ashame that Doctors are not that knowledgeable about this and that modern medicine has not done more to help ease women's suffering in this area.
Not sure if any of you are still out there but I am 50 this year and I feel awful. I have all these symptoms and then I get these BP spikes not all the time but they seem to come around the time I start experiencing symptoms again. I get a couple of good days and start thinking maybe I reached the end and them BAM - back again. Sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind. Would it be possible to get your personal e-mail addresses? I have to have a lot of identical symptoms and of course my friends have none or next to no symptoms which makes me  feel even worse. On top of everything else I have recently separated and lost my job.

Linda50
Fitzy050
Yes I am still here and got this message.  It is a challenging time of life and please do not get discouraged.  I have been talking to several women over the years who have experienced all the same stuff and it is difficult.  We are hear for each other.
You can e-mail me at ***@****
Wow, I am 41 and is complaining already. I too had a lot of testing done and all came back negative. I get dizzy if I move my head too quickly; I have a weak right leg, and a weak spot just above my right knee. When the weakness begins in the leg, within a couple of mins, my whole body is weak. I thought I needed iron tablets, but those don't work anymore. Ladies, thanks for your input, it really helped. And yes, I also thought I had MS and I did fit some of the symptoms. Today, I told my husband that I should just walk into the emergency, he was shocked that the weakness and heavy head was that bad. But thanks to you ladies, I will stay home; it only peri-menopause and I hate the way I feel.
Hi Fitzy,
It will have been three years for me and the symptoms are lessening.  It does get better and more manageable but not quickly.  The first year is the hardest.  You can reach me at ***@**** if you want to.  I would be glad to help you anyway I can.  This is a very difficult time.
Anne
Hi Deegirl,
This is a strange time and no way was I prepared for what has happened.  The way it has been explained to me is that when our ovaries are shutting down with hormones our other organs and nervous system kicks in (with hormones) but sometimes the transition does not happen smoothly.  That is why we feel awful.  I had the same leg and muscle problem too.  It is one of the first things to go away but I am afraid the weakness in your legs will last awhile.
It will be three years for me.  Much better but it has been a difficult and emotional road.  Do not fret how you feel.  It is all part of it.
Anne56
Hi you sound excactly like me are you still going through it my doctor has put me on anxiety tablets and i just felt worse so i have stopped taking them.My husband cant leave me in the house on my own or i panic he has just taken my daughter out and my son has had to stop in with me i have good days and bad days really today i am really shaky im 45 and my periods have gone to every 24 days
hello, I have read your comments and chosen to reply because my symptoms are identical to yours. I feel my life is changed completely, I am unable to carry out a normal days activities. weak wobbly tingly legs, heavy head, off balance, light headed, unable to sleep through the night, coldness, hot flushes, numb hands, the list goes on. I dont feel normal, all tests back negative. I just want my life back, and enjoy the simple pleasures that are a struggle for me right now. I sincerely hope you are feeling heaps better
Hi Nes910,
My name is Anne and my post is Anne56.  Yes this has been a huge challenge and each day is an effort.  I have met 2. women and we text daily just to have someone to talk to and not feel alone. I do not want to discourage you but it has been 3 years for me (each year is getting better) but it is a slow process.  Please contact me as often as you wish.  Somehow a friend of mine figured out how we can exchange e-mails to stay in touch easier.  Please know I feel for you and know how difficult this is.  Are you working? What is your day like.  When this first hit I did absolutely nothing for 3 months. I would like to know how this first appeared.  It is interesting to exchange symptoms and now it started.  Hugs
hello annie, thank you so much for your response. my symptoms started at least 7 years ago affecting my balance and weak tingly legs. I had off days when I felt ready to pass out, I had internal shakes and irregular heartbeat which lasted over six months. I coped because I had many good days and because I still had periods did not put my symptoms down to menopause.
I started to have hot flushes 3 years ago, soon after my last period,my balance has been on and off. In july 2011, I had an episode when I leaned to my left while out walking, and my balance has been off ever since, most days I feel like I am walking in a wobbly line, My head feels very heavy, weak tingly legs, restless sleep, spend much of the night tossing and turning, feel worse when I am on my own,a feeling of panic washes over me.I too started thinking about ms and brain tumours, but an mri scan in feb this year ruled out any serious problem. I have also had to abandon shops and walks because of feelings that I am losing control, waves of panic overtaking me, and the need to be in my home, safe and secure. I feel sad for you and everyone else suffering. Our life is not the same, and I would like to be able to go out alone without feeling so vulnerable because my body feels like shutting down on me. I am 55, dont work, so I have plenty of time to dwell on my symptoms. Doctors dont understand, but I find this site very encouraging. Thankyou  Anne you have been a great help. I hope you are feeling better Hugs back x
Oh my gosh! I have all these symptoms for two years now and am housebound.:(. I also have very heavy arms and legs along with my heavy head. I feel like I am wearing a lead suit all the time! My doc says she thinks I have subclinical hypothyroidism caused by menopause and we are going to try a very low dose of thyroid soon. I want my life back!
Hello Sharon, I am so sorry that you are having all these problems. I cant wait for the day I feel normal again, to be symptom free. I have a few good days then it hits me out of the blue. I have spells when I feel like I will pass out, my doctor thinks I have anxiety, he is right, being off balance, heavy head, tingly legs, numb arms, insomnia, itchy skin, headaches are all causing me to worry. I feel very sad for us all, but its comforting to know that we are not alone. I am so tired of constantly feeling like I have no control, but this site helps push me along each day. I hope you, me and everyone else all feels better soon. I want my life back too, two years is a long time for you, I really feel for you. A big hug x
Thanks Nes, this HAS to end right? I've read about women that transition took 10 years!!!!! I hope we are lucky and it's over soon. Life just is passing me by. I'm not looking forward to the holidays. Christmas will be my anniversary of feeling this way. I'm glad you have a few good days that is a blessing that I look forward to bt hasn't happened yet! :)
hi sharon, 10 years!!! We can only hope that we are luckier than that. When I say I have good days, I mean I can manage to walk three hundred yards to see my friend, who lives very close. Today was a bad one, woke up feeling very heavy headed, nausea, tingly legs, shaky. I agree with you, life is passing us by, I want to be able to go christmas shopping on my own, but I dont feel capable of being alone in crowded places, I spend a lot of my day at home, relying on others to help me. last year I felt dreadful, my balance was very bad, it seems worse when my head is tight and heavy, and yes it feels like you are wearing a lead suit. If only I could sleep through the night, its like I have no need for sleep. Do you have a family and do they understand how you are feeling. keep writing please, its helping us both  nes x
Yes I have a family, a hubby and three teenage girls who help a lot! They are my taxi now. My husband is tired of me being sick just as much as I am. He worries about me all the time. I don't understand how some of us get all these debilitating symptoms and most women only get hot flashes?! We are never told about all 35 symtoms (symptoms) only two hot flases and mood swings. I wish that's all I had! My dizziness is worse with a tight head too. My neck and shoulders are soooo tight all the time too.
hi sharon, It sounds like you have good support from your family, I have a hubby and a son and daughter in their twenties. They all help as much as they can, particularly with shopping, something I really miss being able to do on my own. I feel useless at times, and started to think it was all in my head, especially when doctors ask what you mean by light headedness, asking me to explain how my head feels, then telling me to relax more. Its frustrating when the medical proffession are no help. I convinced myself I had ms, but having found this site, its encouraging to know its menopause. But why me, why you, and the many others suffering in this way. I could cope with hot flushes on their own, its this head and balance that are hard for me. someone must be able to help us all. x
Anybody still on here.I am new to this
Hi Wobblydawn...Yes I am still here.  How are you doing?  Please feel free to reply to Anne 56.  This is such a difficult time and we need all the help and support we can get.
Anne56
So good to find a group that is going through similar experiences!   My name is Kena, I am 44, about to turn 45 and I started to experience peri symptoms about 3 yrs ago, but didn't know it.   I had a child at 42, breastfed for 9 months, didn't sleep 8 continuous hours for over 2 yrs and about one year ago I had a terrifying experience.  I was driving around a bend, and my head all of a sudden felt like it weighed 500 lbs. I had a rushlike feeling emerging from the back of my neck and then felt as if someone had put their hand on my head and was pushing it down it was so heavy.  I had to lean down, felt as if I was fainting but wasn't losing consciousness at all, just could not keep my head up and focus on the road.  I waited a while, drove back home, luckily I was only about 3 minutes away when this off balance feeling occurred.  I had never experienced anything like this and it didn't happen again for a month.  After that, it begun to occur every couple of weeks while I drove only.  In the interim, I was experiencing extreme crashing fatigue, which I attributed to caring for a 2 yr old and sleeping poorly.  I was also a witch, moody as could be, anxious, depressed and simply feeling like a basket case.  I had a lot of stress taking place personally.  Every test that was done showed no indication of any health problem, save for hormonal level decline, clearly indicating I am perimenopausal.  However, every time I would point out my off balance episodes the doctors would say that it is unrelated to hormonal fluctuation.   I don't understand, I feel like I am losing my mind and freedom to go with it.  Anyone else have these fleeting but severe off-balance issues?   Any feedback is welcome.  I am also thinking of progesterone replacement therapy, a capsule daily.  My doctor isn't too keen on it though, saying he doesn't think it adds much value to relief of perimenopausal symptoms.  Rather he would prescribe estrogen supplement instead.  I'm confused, i thought low progesterone is what causes most of these symptoms in addition to declining estrogen.   Any feedback is welcome, thank you!
Hi Kena
Take heart.  Some of us are having a difficult time and you are not alone.  Another friend of mine started hers at 45 also.  It is difficult but try not to get overly anxious about it.  I want to write you a longer note telling you how a good doc explained this to me but I have done this before on this blog and not received any comments back so write back more of your symptoms so I know you received this then a lengthy explanation will be sent back.  
Hugs,  Anne
I was so glad to find this site, I have been going thru the same things since early 2012, reading this I felt like I was looking in the mirror.  It is so hard to described to people what you are feeling, yet when I read the posts above I could totally relate.  In the post to Kena you mentioned a lengthy explanation, could you post it I would be very interested in reading it.  I look for anything and everything that could possibly ease the symptons and give me my life back. I have had and have almost all of the symptons, current ones are weak legs, shakiness, panic attacks, loss of balance and woosey head.  I also recently had a major jolt in my chest with a sudden rush that then brought on a panic attack.  All test come back fine. Very frustrating. Any input is appreciated.
hello metoo, I am so sorry you are suffering, but I am relieved to see that I am not alone with all these worrying symptoms. My balance is way off most of the time. my head is heavy, legs tingly and weak. pins and needles, shaky, insomnia, I have not slept through the night for years. My marraige has just broke up, and I feel very alone and would give anything to feel good and happy with my body. The only ladies to understand what I am talking about is on this site, and it makes me very sad that doctors are unable to help any of us. But I hope that we will all wake up one morning feeling totally good and normal again. some day soon would be great. love to us all x
Hi metoo2012
I hope this note finds you.  I never know if anyone receives these but you expressed an interest in understanding more about this and I just want to help you so you do not have so much anxiety over your symptoms.  There are not many doctors if any that will admit that menopause is more than hot flashes or fatigue but I did find a nurse who went through it and spoke with the gyno that she worked for.  He heard all her complaints plus others before but cannot tell women that it is meno because of all the other symptoms that mimic ms, etc.  She put it this way to me.  When our ovaries start shutting down and not putting out the hormones our organs naturally kick in and make the hormones needed to keep functioning.  Our ovaries all our reproductive life have given off the hormones to keep our skin, nervous system, heart, brain....to function at capacity.  The easy transition which 25% of women experience is no symptoms because everything goes smoothly.  50% of women find  mild to medium symptoms and disturbances because the transition is not that smooth and we who are left- the last 25%....the transition is not smooth.  Our ovaries quit and or organs do not pick up the slack immediately.  We have jolts in the night, leg pain and heaviness, panic attacks, anxiety,  eye problems, wobbly head, ear ringing, fatigue, digestive problems,  sore muscles ( i could go on and on).  It is awful and stops us in our tracks.  The transition is slow and sometimes takes years.  One women told me it would take a year and I counted the days until my year was up only to find that now it has been four years.  Although each year it is getting better and I am functioning more and more it is discouraging.  Everyone is different so do not think you are worse off or have a problem if you do not fall into their catagory.  The best advice I can give is to stay away from sugar, caffeine, and alcohol.  It makes everything worse!!!!!  Walk a little everyday to be outside in the fresh air.  Get lots of sleep.  Your body will heal itself.  Try not to be too disturbed about your symptoms and when those moods hit with crying and sadness know they will go away.  You are not mentally or physically ill it is your body making the adjustment.  If you have to say no to more things now it is only for a time and do not feel bad about it.  The hardest thing for me was to look at other women my age who were enjoying their lives and friends.  They could run, dance, work and play without hesitation.  Jealous, envious???  Yes.  God has a plan for all of us and I hope mine right now is to encourage and support other women who are going through the same thing and bewildered with their ugly symptoms that make them feel awlful.  Can you imagine women 50 years ago or more without the internet or network to help them understand?  My husbands grandmother was institutionalized at the age of 51.  I can only imagine why this poor soul was commited.
We will make it.  God will see us through to be better more understanding and caring people.
Anne56
I have been through all the above symptoms & had all the tests for 5 years I have suffered (very fed up) my Dr. had me try hormone replacement pills for 1 month. Well it didn't work for 3 weeks but then the change was small- not such intense sweating just hot flashes. After being on it for almost 4 months it has worked to the point where I can at least cope better & I am sleeping  at night a little more which is huge for me as I was not sleeping at all. Go to your Dr. & insist they let you try them, dosage is different for each person & the amount I am on is very low, you may need more so be patient & persistent. I tried the patches but they fell off so weren't very successful  
Hello Anne, thank you very much for your very helpful discription about what is happening to our bodies. It all makes sense, 25 per cent of us, it sounds quite a lot, but I know nobody else who is suffering in this way. Or do they just prefer not to talk about it. This site  makes such a huge difference to my well being. At my lowest, I log in and re read all the postings, just for reassurance, that I am not going mad. I feel very sad most of the time, I want to feel normal again, and do all the day to day activities that I used to do, without constantly feeling like I am going to fall over, or worse pass out. God does have a plan for us all, and we will come through this happier people.Many thanks to you, and I hope you continue to improve. x
I just want to thank you for all you have described on this site. I am 46 and have had no tests and have periods about every 24 days. At the moment I have hot flashes in the day, leg weakness, hearing issues in one ear, twitching left eyelid, feel like my body is vibrating inside, at night my legs feel so hot in bed and I am sweaty. Trembling seems worse when I wake up. I feel anxious and really struggle not to think I have a serious disease like MS which seems to match a lot of symptoms. I get muscle twitching sometimes too and periods where I feel so tired.etc etc Reading that all ths is possible with menopause makes me feel more hopeful that I d'ont have a serious problem although I still feel crappy. Menopause sites are not really helpful and just describe most usual symptoms which I certainly go beyond. It's just so good to know I am not on my own even though I wish there was help out there or us all so we could have our lives back.thanks again :)
I am 42 years old and have felt really yucky for at least the past 4 years.  KenaPets description of what first happened to her sounds like me.  I was at work at the copier when I felt like someone was pushing down really hard on the top of my head-like a heavy, heavy weight.  I don't pass out, but it causes you to panic because you feel like something bad should happen.  Since then I walk around and once and awhile, sometimes off and on all day for days, feel like my head is off-balance.  It feels as though my head is disconnected from my body somehow.  It almost feels like it hits as a wave in my head and I feel woozy...it may last or it will pass after a few minutes.  I also get a strange headache sometimes that seems to go with it.  I think it's hormonal because it reminds me of the headache I'd get when I was first pregnant.  I know nothing is wrong with me because I have been to the ENT, cardiologist, GP multiple times, gynecologist and had a brain MRI.  My blood work says I'm not in menopause, but I know all of this is hormonal.  I get weird anxiety feelings for no reason.  My doc prescribed Xanax and I only take this when I think that I am so anxious that I won't be able to concentrate at work.  I am always TOTALLY exhausted.  I used to have tons of energy and now all I want to do is lie down all day.  I also get shaky sometimes...it's worse in the morning.  There is nothing wrong blood sugar wise or blood pressure wise because I have been really good at monitoring them.  I thought for sure I had some issue there.  I can only hope that for all of us this passes quickly.  Unfortunately, I still get periods.  However, they are heavier at the beginning, clotting and then fizzle out.  This is a change for me.  You would think some doctor could come up with a better solution...or else at least acknowledge that these are real symptoms and tell us we are not crazy or alone when we feel this way!
I am so glad to have found this site and see the descriptions of our symptoms from everyone!  My life has been ruined for the past 3 years but I try to cope by maintaining a sense of humour, which is difficult on days when you're convinced it's MS!  
I manage to get out and walk (wobble) most days but it's exhausting and you need the concentration of a tight rope walker for every step.  I can't run or move quickly and I've been told I look VERY DRUNK by strangers and friends.  Wot a compliment to start your day!!  If I was not on HRT I would probably be lying in the gutter or on a shop floor in pools of sweat, with heart palpitations, suffering a major panic attack!!
I am 57 this week and I hope to God this stuff doesn't go on until old age.  
If it ends I will have a dancing party and wear high heels again!  
Good Luck to Us All
I know it has been a few years since your posting, but I am in the same boat you were.  How did everything turn out for you?
Thank you for posting a response.  I wish I could tell you I am 100% back to normal but I am not.  Please take heart that it isn't as severe as 4 years ago but I am still putting up with many of the symptoms from the beginning.  Worrying about whether it is ms or some other deadly disease does not phase me anymore but the ugly symptoms that keep you from enjoying life like you once did are still hanging around.  I want to encourage you to keep going but be good to yourself in everything you do.  I have been everywhere and talked to many doctors and no one has any answers.  I refuse to go on HRT due to it stimulating cancer cells in the breast but I do have one hope for you that might ease your symptoms and mind.  I did find a doctor that does a saliva test and sends it to the West Coast.  The test will give you an acurate account of your hormone levels and I mean all your hormones.  Then if he is a good doc will give you suppliments to help get your energy, mood, and over all well being feeling better.  The symptoms are still there but not as severe.  The blood tests you get from your gyno are not an overall accurate account and tend to be frustrating.  If you cannot find a doc let me know and I will give you the name of the one a I use and you can do it over the phone.  He is a kind and sensitive man who has talked to and seen thousands of us who suffer.
Please remember to stay away from caffeine, alchohol and sugar.  For some reason they make your symptoms worse.  If you have gained weight do not be hard on yourself...your body is out of wack and nothing is working normally.  Don't go on a strict diet because your body needs good nutrients and lots of them.
I am out gardening, walking and participating in the parts of life I use to but it still is a struggle.  There are many women out there suffering who need our support and a good ear.  Look and watch for them so you can be a blessing to someone else who is in great dispair.
I have to tell you I connected with a women 4 years ago through another on this website.  We text daily and talk on the phone once a week.  I had the pleasure of meeting her this past week for the first time. (she was passing through...we live states away from each other).  We hugged and cried and laughed together for a couple of hours.
Don't be afraid of your symptoms no matter how disturbing they are.  So many different things set them off too.  Even pleasant times with friends will set your anxiety, nerve, and head weirdness off.  Keep passing through it calmly and the storm will subside.
I love and pray for all of you.  
This is no picnic
Anne56
I am 44 years old and my body has taken on a life of it's own..All by blood tests are normal and hormones when tested fine, but i am experiencing anxiety through the roof, shaky left leg.  some mornings i wake up feeling fine, then a few hours later i will be sitting at my desk and a wave comes over me, Almost feels like my sugar dropped drastically but i am not diabetic.  i feel the need to pee, i tremble and just feel horrible.  can't eat anything.  thank goodness for my klonopin or there would be days i couldn't get to work.  i have been to the ER many times in the past years with full blown panic attacks.  This all started when i hit my 40's...i have no definitive answers from tests but I am fairly confident it is hormonal.  My gyno believes it is perimenopause.  she offered to put my on a low dose birth control but not really comfortable with that. Thanks for listening
I just want to add that while I have some similar symptoms as listed above, I have none of the classic peri-menopause symptoms (hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, loss of libido, etc.).

I have had COUNTLESS tests.  I'm 47.  My periods are regular.  

"I" am the one who brings up the possibility of peri-menopause with just about every doctor I've seen, and they have ALL immediately dismissed it...some almost mocking me for even suggesting it.  (At the same time, they just say all tests are normal, they don't know what is (or don't believe anything is) wrong, now please leave.  

I have pretty much given-up seeking help from the medical profession.  Everyone I've dealt with (doctors & nurses) has been dismissive or downright insulting.  

For now, I'm going with the theory that I'm in peri-menopause, but that my PCOS is causing some unusual symptoms.  I can't find a doctor who'll even consider if peri-menopause is really the cause.

A friend of a friend recently passed away, after also giving up trying to find the cause of her health problem.  Every doctor also told her she was imagining it, it was "stress", or that they just didn't know (or care to look further).  She died because she couldn't find a doctor who was competent or objective.  Such a shame.  Something is desperately wrong with me.  I hope it's just peri-menopause.
today i come home from shopping and walk in the house and my eyes where what i felt like wobbling i felt so funny and then my mouth went real dry and tingly then it happened again when i was in the car about 15 minutes later the same I am on tablets for reflux i have been taking them for 4days i am wondering if it is the tablets but the side affects doesn't mention all that stuff i have just mention.
Hello, I am so happy to have found this site. I will be fifty one in Feb. I have been to the ER 4 times since AUGUST. First time was flooding from bleeding, and then Found out I was severely anemic, and passed out a few times. my periods are irregular now...feel like I am crazy, and been to the ER with panic attachs. I HAVE HAD THE HEAVY LEAD feeling mostly in my legs and one arm. I have a strange buzzing feeling in my body alot, and also was convinced I had MS. I expect at any minute I will collapse and not be able to walk and be confined to a wheel chair. These symptoms have made me extremely neurotic. All my bloodwork, EKG and thyroid have come back normal. It was hard at first because low iron causes some of the same symptoms as menopause, and panic attachs also can cause shaky legs and heavy lead feelings. Id rather be dead than feel like this. Thank you everybody for sharing. It helps me know I am not crazy.
Hi everybody

I had all the key symptoms: shortened cycles, heavy bleeding, anaemia, dizziness, headaches, migraines for the first time, neck pain, muscular pain, crushing fatigue, ongoing insomnia. There were months and months where I was practically bedridden. On top of this, the anxiety which is probably the worst symptom of all, as it comes out of nowhere, is difficult to understand, takes all of your energy mental and physical, spiritual to manage and crushes your self-esteem.  I had all the blood tests, heart monitor, CAT scan, I saw a homeopath, acupuncturist, 3 gynaecologists (who wanted me on the pill, or the IUD), various other practitioners, did EFT, hypnosis, 2 psychologists.  I lost my reputation at the org I worked for, was stigmatised for "being sick" after years of high performance.  Finally, sought out a bio-identical clinic, who put me on a low dose of natural progesterone cream (compounded). Started sleeping again, fatigue began to decrease, muscular pain began to decrease, moods got a little better, bleeding manageable, headaches better, anxiety is still my worst symptom, but this is the second month on it and the second month in 6 I haven't ended up in ER on the day before or day of period starting.  I am also about to do saliva testing to see exactly what my hormones are doing.  I strongly suggest the both: see someone that knows about bio-identicals and get your hormones tested so that they can pinpoint what the imbalances are and then re-balance and restore.  I hope this helps.

Ana
I know exactly how you feel.  I'm 43 and  I had to finally take my health into my own hands.  Only by the grace of God have I found what really helps......it's very high dose progesterone.
Most doctors want to put us on a lower dose of progesterone, which only makes matters worse by keeping estrogen in stimulation mode.
Most women's estrogen is already too high due to all the "xeno-estrogens" in our food and environment, which suppresses our progesterone and causes excess copper in our body, which suppresses zinc .

I've been on 400 mg. Natpro Progesterone now since last September, because it was my last ditch effort at survival.  I began having improvements so I've stuck with continuous use even during cycles and can now say that I'm beginning to truly feel normal and young again.

My previous symptoms were severe:  nausea, chronic fatigue, achy joints, hot flash city, night sweats, insomnia, severe depression, anxiety, surges thru my body, unable to hardly walk, talk, eat or sleep, etc.

Like I said, I know it's only by the grace of God that I'm beginning to feel good again.  I had been sick for almost a whole year and now I'm able to do my work again and feel like living again.

The website that really helped me was progesteronetherapy.com

Hi Anne--

I am 44 years old and I think I am in the beginning stages of perimenopause. I get shaky or trembly legs at night; I have awakened in a cold sweat; my period this month was weird; sometimes I get hot all of a sudden; there are times that I cry for no reason; feel anxious at times because I don't know what is going on; feeling dizzy and lightheaded at times; feel sick to my stomach at times; and overall I just feel different. I will be seeing a doctor this week for some testing. Any suggestions on how to feel more comfortable or to control the shaky legs (not sure if that is a low blood sugar issue). I have been trying to eat better, but I still feel awful sometimes.
I have had hypo for years then I was fine. Three years ago I had a partial hysterectomy. About a year ago started vivelle dot patch and I was doing great. Now all of a sudden the hypo is back. I;m on wobbly legs and all the other symptoms mentioned here. I am 51. My family history tells me that the females go thru menopause at 54.I am miserable because it comes and goes.I was yesterday but crappy today. I stay away from all of the triggers. No sugar, caffeine,simple carbs. Should I ask my doctor to put me on the higher dose patch? I have been tested for everything.Thyroid is fine. Heart is fine. Pancrease is fine. Ugh.
Hi Popcorn,
I wish I had an answer for you but speaking with someone who has had your symptoms helps relieve the anxiety somewhat.  When you feel bad try not to add worry on top of your stress. Try to tell yourself that your hormones are off and even though you feel bad now in a few hours with a little rest you might feel better.  Be careful with the gyno docs.  After being at this for 5 years I have found that none of them understand.  A blood test is what they want to do but I have found that a saliva test is what is most accurate. A good doc told me that the gyno community puts you on a general pill of hormone replacement but what they do not understand is maybe your progesterone is low but your estrogen is fine.  The pill they give you has both and now your body has more estrogen than needed which can stimulate cancer cells.
I think what is difficult is finding someone to talk to.  My friends have not had any problems other than hot flashes and sleeplessness.  You try and talk to them about your legs, anxiety,etc and they look at you like you are nuts and most of them say.  Well....that can't be menopause....which makes you feel worse.  Pick who you talk to carefully.
Get lots of rest.  Stay away from alcohol, caffeine and sugar.  Take a really good digestable vitamin and extra vitamin B12 for fatigue.
I really wish you well.  Stay as calm as possible and just float through those tough symptoms.  Panicking makes things worse. I will be glad to respond anytime you need to talk.  A woman I met on this sight 4 years ago have been texting and talking now and then.  It has really helped me get through this.  One more thing.  The weather changes (if you live in a seasonal climate) makes your symptoms worse too,
I hope I have helped you just a little.  Take care.
Anne56
Hi Jane,
If you can find a natural doc to do a saliva test for hormones you will find out exactly where they are on a normal scale.  Then you can take your hormones as needed.  I would be afraid to up your dosage without knowing if it is your progesterone or estrogen levels that are low.  Low Progesterone gives us the crazy symptoms like weak legs, fuzzy head, achy limbs etc.  Estrogen is the hot flash culprit.  Be careful what you take.  I haven't taken anything because of family history with cancer.  Even the docs say no HRT.  This has been challenging but it is getting better and all those dreaded diseases I thought I had I can now say.  No....I am not dying or going to be in a wheel chair the rest of my life.  When your hormones are low they cause all kinds of symptoms throughout your body....especially your mind.  My mind went places I did not like so don't give in to it and keep telling yourself that your hormones are low and that is why you feel bad.  You will get better
Hugs, Anne
Anne,

Hi. Thank you so much for responding to my posting! I was in tears of relief when I read your posting! You are right--that I have to be careful on who I talk to about perimenopause because everyone that I have spoken with did not have any of these experiences.  They all say that they have had just hot flashes and maybe some anxiety. Someone else said ("oh I went through menopause and I didn't have any of that"). I don't really want to use hormonal therapy if that is indeed the case that my hormones are out of whack! I am hoping that the doctor would be able to provide other methods for the hormones. I bought some B-complex vitamins and took one today. I did notice a difference in how my legs felt. I still get bouts of being lightheaded or dizzy and sometimes sweaty. This might be the anxiety kicking in. I also have been drinking evening chamomile tea to help me relax and sleep at night. That has helped me sleep a little better. I have also been reading about magnesium deficiency (look up magnesium deficiency in google and read the article by Dr. Sircus) and Adrenal Fatigue (look up Dr. Lam and read his comprehensive article about Adrenal Fatigue). Dr. Lam also has some youtube videos about Adrenal Fatigue. Another doctor (Dr. John Bergman) has a youtube video about Adrenal Fatigue.
Hi Popcorn,
I am glad chatting with you has helped relieve some of your anxiety of whether this is hormonal or not.  If it helps you every woman I have talked to experiencing these symptoms fears some deadly disease those first few anxious months or even years.  I cried myself to sleep when this first hit thinking I had ms and would be in a wheel chair.  A woman I just chatted with goes through thoughts of having ALS.  She calls me crying.  Many of us have had these fears especially when our minds are weak and tired with worry.
  Thank you for mentioning the magnesium information.  I did google it and so many of the symptoms are like magnesium deficiency.  I got my supply out of the cupboard and took some today.  I will google the adrenal doc too.  
I have been working on my adrenals but with no success.  I guess every little bit helps.
Thanks again for writing back.  Are you able to work?  Or are you working?  Don't be too hard on yourself.  There have been times when I have pulled up to the grocery store parking lot and was not able to muster the drive to go in and shop.  Sometimes the same thing with having coffee with a friend or even an appointment.  Many things have been cancelled over the years but it is getting better.  Hugs to you.
Hi Anne, I do not really know if i am going through the menopause! But all i can say is that i am so very tired all the time my eyes feel really heavy, My legs feel like jelly, I have felt tired for a long time now, But just in these last 4 or 5 weeks my eyes feel terrible,I am coming up 52 in october i had an hysterectomy about 9yrs ago, I have had blood test done at my GPs , But apparently they came back clear, except for the homone one. This tiredness is really getting me down I work all week and all i want to do is sleep

Please help
Hi Lozwing,
I am 99% sure you are going through menopause.  That is how mine started and I feel for you.  Being fatigued when your blood count comes back normal is hard to understand.  Hormones play such a huge part in how we feel and when all we want to do is sleep but do not feel better when we do is challenging on our mental state.  I felt fatigued for a long time so do not beat yourself up.  Sleep as much as you need to.  It is good for you when your body is battling this change.  A use to go to bed at 7, wake up at 6, then go back to bed until 11.  I was exhausted...nothing worked well.  My eyes felt like someone was hanging on them.  My legs felt weak and sluggish also.  There were many more symptoms that surfaced so don't be afraid if more happen.  No one is the same either.  As I mentioned before...be careful who you talk to.  Women who have not had any problem with menopause will tell you what you are experiencing is not meno.  Try not to get too upset.  This will pass..maybe gradually...maybe quickly.  Eyes, ears, muscles, nervous system are all affected.  Take comfort in knowing that there is nothing wrong but that your body is adjusting and not doing it smoothly as maybe someone else might.  If your moods are up and down that is another area where you have to stand back and tell yourself there is a swing in your hormone level and you will feel better soon.
This is so hard and I want to give you as much encouragement as possible.
I spent 3 to 6 months in bed when this first hit and then it started to let up somewhat.  Be good to yourself and sleep when you need it and don't feel like you have to keep your social calender.  Honestly....I lost a lot of friends these past few years because my answer was always "no I can't".  I didn't feel like it and frankly I couldn't.
Take care Lozwing and hugs to you.
Hi Anne
Yes, I am working. I have been to the doctor for some baseline blood testing. I think we have to make sure to get enough sleep. Sometimes my legs are fine and when I don!t get enough rest my legs feel weak. I noticed tonight that my legs had that weak feeling. The doctor wants me exercising even though my legs feel weak. I have been walking my dog more. For anxiety I have been deep breathing, hot baths, and try to focus on something like crossword or search a word puzzles. Chamomile tea or green tea are great to help your adrenal glands. I also have a sleepy time tea to help me sleep at night. Suzanne Somers wrote a book about perimenopause called Am I Too Young for this. It is very good and she has a website as well. She talks all about adrenal fatigue and perimenopause. B complex seems to help too! Thanks for replying Anne. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Anne,

How are you doing? Haven't seen any recent postings. I have been trying to relax and when I notice a hot flash or a lightheaded spell, I recognize it and remind myself it is probably my hormones and just relax and let it pass. If I don't relax, I tend to trigger a panic attack and then have to do some serious deep breathing to calm myself down. Panic attacks are not fun! I read that hot flashes can trigger panic attacks because the body sends signals  that there is something wrong and releases adrenaline for protection, but causes shakiness because now there is to much released.
Anne,

How are you doing? Haven't seen any recent postings. I have been trying to relax and when I notice a hot flash or a lightheaded spell, I recognize it and remind myself it is probably my hormones and just relax and let it pass. If I don't relax, I tend to trigger a panic attack and then have to do some serious deep breathing to calm myself down. Panic attacks are not fun! I read that hot flashes can trigger panic attacks because the body sends signals that there is something wrong and releases adrenaline for protection, but causes shakiness due to too much adrenaline being released. It is a nasty cycle. I have discovered that some yoga positions nothing too strenuous can help with anxiety, hot flashes, and insomnia. I borrowed book from the library for learning some yoga. Also meditation! Take it easy Anne!
Does anyone know anyone who has come through this experience yet?  We are led to believe it is a 'transition'.
I am post-menopausal and have had and still have almost all of the symptoms described by everyone here.  Four years now!!
Thanks to you all for posting and especially Anne56 whose descriptions are so accurate.  Her advice is great.
I do hope someone can tell us they have got through it!
Hi Dizzy,
This is my 5th year and I have to say I am about 90%.  Yes people do come out of this but it takes some time.  A women I just talked to said that her first 5 years although better as time went on lingered into another 5 but with very few symptoms.  She said that one day it was gone.  Another said it took a full 5 years and then went away.  Please take heart everyone, that the symptoms you are feeling and dreading weaken to the point you do not give them much thought.  My mother just passed away 2 weeks ago and I thought with the stress and extra company, work and sleeplessness I would be a mess but the good news is I passed through it just fine.  Everyone!!!!  This will go away.  You will have the energy and vitality you once had.  You will not think twice about doing extra fun things that once set you back.  ( I still refuse to go on a boat ) Take really good care of yourself.  Sleep as much as you can.  When those panic attacks happen look them right in the face...don't run from them.  I read that if you face your attacks of any kind...even the most unpleasant ones it diffuses them and they come back with less and less power.  I practiced it over and over again so that I could sit calmly and let them go away.  No fun ladies but we are in this together and read these comments as much as you need to.  It does give each of us the support and reassurance that we are not going crazy.  I love you all and my heart aches as you all endure this time in our lives.  Look for someone who might need an encouraging word because so many women battle this alone. When you come out on the other side you will be a better person with sympathy for others.
Another thing...If that dentist appt. or bridal shower is just too much to bear.  Don't go.  Don't feel like you have to be the hero and do everything.  
Take care and know that you are  not alone.
Anne56
I believe the lightheadedness is related to the anxiety. The anxiety is attributed to the changing hormones.  I looked up lightheadedness and anxiety. When people are anxious, they can feel lightheaded--anxiety is the no. 1 cause of felling lightheaded. I think my doctor is attributing a lot of my symptoms to anxiety and perimenopause.
Hi.  I am a newbie.  I had an episode of the shaky weak legs and have noticed that they seem to be getting worse the last few months as I turned 46 last month.  I have been on progesterone cream by Emerita but not really seeing much relief.  My symptoms started about 42. I am a big fan of Ann Louise Gittleman and have used her progesterone cream and will probably go back just wondering if anyone recommends any others. I am off gluten, dairy and limit the caffeine.  I notice that I have really great days, then it starts to go down from there.  Today was the worst as I had to actually leave work and prayed all the way home as I felt like I was gonna drop to the ground, but I was fine sitting in my car.  The wiggly legs usually happen if I stand still.  It is nice to see others share these stories and experiences, I really just want the shaky legs to stop and let me be able to walk and jog again.  Does it get worse during the month?  Even though I haven't had a period, it seems I am pmsing which results in a low drop in estrogen and progesterone...oh and I had the testing, my Testosterone was very low but I really didn't want to be placed on T shots.  Trying to find alternative ways to boost T and progesterone with food and or supplements.  Dr. Northrup is another great female voice.  She wrote the wisdom of menopause.  Thanks for listening girls.  My sis and I share these similar issues, she was forced into menopause by surgery, me just going thru the motions for the last few years with this peri crap lol  Thanks for letting me ramble.            
I am 55 and still having the irregular period, I go 4 months with no period and then a great big flood, I too am housebound, my time at home involves looking after my partner who works,  and cooking cleaning and sewing.
I too have been experiencing that disconnection from the waist down, I find my self struggling with the vacuum cleaner most days.
I have lost all confidence in doctors they just tell you what you want to know, some days I swear if I had a gun I would shoot my self but lucky for me I don,t..
Anne56 -- can you please tell me about your friends who have neurological symptoms and are going through menopause? I also fear MS, ALS, although I've been tested for everything and docs can't find anything. I have numbness or burning sensation down both arms and one leg and even get burning in my face. My throat goes numb. My eyes always feel gluey. I'd love to know that I'm not alone. I'm 46, been to three neurologists and numerous other docs. Haven't had my hormones tested although my periods are irregular. Plus, this all started right after my third baby was born, when I was nursing and didn't get my period back for over a year.

I really feel like I'm going crazy. None of my friends who are in my age group have these symptoms.

Thanks, everyone!
Dear Wells,
You are not alone!!!!  The symptoms you are feeling are related to menopause.  The tingling,numbness, burning sensation are all your nerve endings trying to cope with the change in hormones.  I had numbness in my face that went to my ears and it scared me to death.  The first year I had this I was sure I had MS.  Please be comforted knowing many of us have all the same symptoms and the docs will send you from specialist to specialist not knowing what to do with you.  It is frustrating and frightening to realize that all these docs cannot help you or are willing to pinpoint your problem. I wanted answers and after waiting months to get into some of these docs I went out more tearful and fearful than ever.  My advice is to stay away from them.  They do not help you nor will they ever tell you it is menopause.  To be honest even some of the best gyno's don't know what to do with you.  After a year of searching a kind nurse told me what this is all about.  I haven't been back to any doc since.  It has been 5 years for me and I have to say that all my neurological symptoms, skin burning/itching/crawling is gone. My only symptoms that are left (I counted 47 at one time) are my eyes and balance at times.
I wanted to post to all the ladies something that made me depressed and felt like I was going crazy when things were really tough was I planned my own funeral, thought about the people that would come and wondered what my husband and daughter would do.Would I have a stroke?, heart attack.  If you feel like death at times and do think about your funeral I was told that thousands of women go through this regularly.  We would be watching tv at night and this rush or wave of the worst feeling would hit me.  I would have to get up and go into the other room to let it pass.  Sometimes it would be panic and other times it would be just a looming dark cloud.
If you feel like you need answers and need to search for them let me tell you that you should for peace of mind but it will wear you out emotionally and physically.  Be prepared.  If you are in doubt that this is hormones get a saliva test which will lay out all your hormones.  I can guarantee you that your progesterone is very low.  All these strange body symptoms are not Estrogen but Progesterone.  You might also notice that as time goes on you will notice they become a cycle.  Somewhat like a period.  I could plan my calendar the second and third year.  Two weeks of feeling crummy but able to do a few things then housebound.  Not feeling up to much of anything.  Take heart...this will pass.  You will have the energy and stamina to do things.  Your eyes will not feel heavy and gluey and your legs will become strong again.  I wish we could talk more often because I know how it helps when you are feeling at your worse and so fearful that this is something serious.  It is serious because you feel lousy but you will not die, even though your body is shaking, your stomach has a pit in it, your legs feel like they can't hold you, your head feels like it is going to be crushed and so much more.  Know that you will come through this.  Be patient as you can.
Hugs to all
Anne56  
You are such a kind soul to give so much of yourself to this forum. It is so comforting to know I'm not alone in this journey. At times I really do feel like a nut job. Your advice is sound, as doctors have been of no help to me. What has helped is prayer, exercise, a good diet, and the support of my amazing husband. Thanks again for answering. What a blessing you ladies are!
Dear Anne

I am 51 this week and feel absolutely dreadful. I've had severe neck and back pain with a trapped nerve for 18 months, but it has just become worse and worse. I have no energy whatsoever and can't bear to get out of bed since I know I'll feel so dreadful. I have Evorel patches, but wonder if I should go on HRT tablets. (I tried Femoston but they made me feel sick and dizzy). Just had more blood tests today. I know I am perimenopausal ( I stil have erratic periods), but I just feel SO dreadful all the time. Could the neck and back pain be exacerbated by the perimenopause?
Hi Brevis,
Yes.....your pain is more acute from the lack of hormones.  I had a similiar situation with my knee.  It is amazing how one troublesome area of your body is affected by a hormone imbalance.  I friend of mine had a hearing malfunction which led to other troublesome symptoms.  She ended up at mayo clinic. Don't be fooled by the blood tests they run on you.  Your hormones change hour by hour and a blood test is not accurate.  I have stressed getting a saliva test.  It will tell you which hormones you are low in.  Most likely progesterone.
I feel for you.  You will feel dreadful and tired.  I didn't get out of bed for almost 5 months and even then it was trying.  I did take a nap everyday for almost 2 years.  Be good to yourself and rest as much as you need to.
Anne56      
Hi , I really don't know where to start but I too have had/have menopause symptoms for years now. Anxiety , heart palpatations, feeling off,head swimming, no energy, plus more, I haven felt like myself for years. I have no joy in my life, it has all been sucked from me. What happened to the golden years?
Hi angbar,
I know exactly how you feel.  Life does not show much fun or interest.  Keep your chin up....it will pass. Vitamin B12 helped me with my energy.  Get a really good brand and stick with it.  You will notice a difference.  I don't know about you but one of the hard things for me has been to watch other women who look like they are having a great time, travel, garden, exercise...the list goes on.  Waking up in the morning and facing another day with a good attitude is a challenge.  This is my fifth year and if I can give you any encouragement it does get better.  My husband commented that I have my spunk back.  I must say I still have days that drag and don't feel well but I look back to the beginning and remember how horrible I felt and just prayed I would make it through the day.  I feel for you and wish we could talk day to day because that helps with  anxiety .
How long ago did this start for you and at what age???  Do you work?  If there is any encouragement I can give you please let me know.  I still have the heart palpitations or a racing heart which is so scary but the docs don't seem to worry about it too much.  You will have those golden years so be encouraged. Please know that you are not alone and so many suffer and are bewildered at the cause.  We have each other to express our concerns and complaints to when maybe our friends and relatives do not understand.
Hugs Anne56
To answer some of your questions you asked. I am 54, single and living with my youngest daughter, two grandsons and her boyfriend. I was living on my own for years while I was employed as a custodian for a school ,until they outsourced two years ago. I started perimenopause 10 + years ago, my whole world was knocked around. I was literally couched bound for months,severe night sweats, anxiety I believe I had almost everyone of the 34 menopause symptoms. I went through three doctors at the time until I found the one I still currently have,that figured out it was my hormones, as all the other were pointing towards hypoglcemia. Its been a long road , journey is not yet over I'm afraid. And I do agree with you, I too look at other people laugh, enjoying things and I too want to feel that same way. I have anxiety almost everyday,I want to live, but yet I don't. Depression also seems to lurk in the shadows which doesn't help. I just started a low dose HRT about 2 weeks ago,along with prozac and effexor. I guess I was looking for a instant miracle, while I feel better then I did, I still do not feel good. Thank you for listening. Where do you live?
Hi Anne (and others),
     Wow - I've just read through your posts and other than the fact that I don't write as well they could be me writing them - although I think I'm about where you were about 2 or 3 years ago.  Thanks for sharing your trip.  I'm now 53 and several years ago had what I called my perfect storm - I was living with my elderly parents, Mom had Parkinson's and Dad was having heart issues, my hormones went screwy and the guy I was seeing informed me that I was undesirable.  By the time Mom passed she hated my guts and between her and the guy (and the fact that no other guy has ever found me to be of interest) my self-esteem is non-existent.  That's really about when my physical stuff started (the lack of energy, wobbly legs, anxiety etc) and I've gone through the same things that you talked about - "is it MS? how about Lyme disease?  heart disease? etc etc" and of course the thoughts and worries (worse at night) only make you feel worse.  and docs don't help - mine all seem to be pill-pushers - my last one told me that I had to do HRT, that nothing else worked - that was the last time I went to see her.   All of this adds to depression  - how could I have gotten to this point in my life and be such a loser?  I just want to feel healthy again (Heck, I couldn't even attract a man when I was happy, there's not a prayer that it will happen now). I'm afraid that rather than getting back to "normal" that I am just going to have to settle for a "new normal" and that stinks.  Anyway, thanks for sharing, you've made such a difference.  
Hello,  Please don't feel like you are alone in this journey. There are so many others as you have read that feel the same as you, as our hormones tend to make us feel less worthy, unattractive, and plain miserable. I struggle everyday, its hard but I get through it,all the while my mind races with intrusive thoughts. I am hoping that all of the symptoms and feelings I have soon lift away, like an evil spirit leaving my body and mind.
Thanks so much. My doctor put me on buspirone for anxiety. After I was on it for 4 days I had to go off of it because it made me feel 10 times worse. I am sitting here at home after calling out of work. My legs are wobbly but I have to go to work tomorrow. He has given me xanax which calms anxiety but I need to get to the root of it. I am on my feet 8 hours a day and am in good physical shape. All of this is so awful. I don't know what to do.
Hi Twinkle01,
    Are you still here?  I hope things are getting better for you -  I've been going through the same symptoms for several months - the heavy legs feeling like you could collapse at any minute and worrying constantly.  I want the old me back (not that that was anything special but SO much better than the one I am now!).  My self-esteem is non-existent (of course, having my Mom basically hate me by the time she died of Parkinson's - I was her main caregiver, and being dumped at the same time by a guy who "confirmed" that I am undesirable as a female - didn't help - being over 50 and feeling like he was probably my last chance (even though he was no great catch) has completely trashed my mood (especially since I still fairly regularly run into him with the woman who apparently IS desirable).  I'm currently living with my 90+ yr old dad (as his main caregiver), full time (and then some) job (which thank heaven I love, even though I don't feel like I do it very well anymore), and not seeing any likelihood that life is going to get better.  I'm enduring it is about all.  So tired of feeling crappy.  Best to all.  
there is not site called powersurge.com

to those having issues you need to talk to your doctor about staying on the pill the lowest dose it regulates menopause it has a hormone in it my prescription ran out so I was off it for two weeks the hot flash anxiety dizziness vision ligt head all hit hard. scary feeling so now I'm back on and feeling better you only get 30 % of the feeling compared to 100% is so much better.
Hi Ann
Do you remember me.Melanie.
Its been years.How are you.
I got better for a few years but this year its all crashed.
I found out it was due to antibiotic toxicity.Namely  Levaquin. Maybe some meno stuff thrown in.Im in the middle of a bad flare up..right back to where I was in 2010.I just came across this forum and saw our posts from back then.
I do hope youre well
http://powersurge.invisionzone.com/index.php?/indexp
power surge has changed its name.
That what it us now
Of course I remember you!!!!  It is good to hear from you.  We went through it didn't we.???  I still have lingering stuff too but it is much better then when this first all started.  Are you still in Texas???  My e-mail is the same so if you have it please write.  I am sorry you are struggling.
Anne  
Please, please read my post (MissM50) from today!!!! You are not crazy.
What a relief to find this website and blog.   I turned 50 on July 8th, 2014.  I had started skipping periods about 5 years ago.  I have never had children so my Dr. indicated it was normal to enter Perimenopause early.  

On July 13, 2014 I began to feel dizzy and very lightheaded.  My legs went weak. My head felt tight or heavy.  It was almost like something in my brain was misfiring.   I felt like I was having a heart attack.   I went ot the ER.  I was diagnosed with Vertigo Labarynthitis.  They said that if I take an anti-nausea medication it should go away on it's own.  They made sure I could walk on my own and once I could, they discharged me.  I asked the Dr. before I left,, "Could this be related to perimenopause?".    He said "NO".  

So, thinking I had a virus.  I stayed in bed for the next 8 days.  It gradually got better but I would have days where it would come out of nowhere.   I'd have to take 1/2 a valium and someone would drive me home.   Now, it's about 10 weeks later.  I've been to an ENT, two ER's, a general practicitioner, an allergist and a chiropractor.    The chiropractor has been the only one that has helped me.   I had a CAT scan, hearing test, bloodwork.....everything is fine.    
There is no doubt in my mind that this is hormonal.  Here is what I think is the interesting part of my story.   I was adopted at age 6.   My mother was institutionalized after she gave birth to my brother and I.   She was about 48 when she was put in to a mental hospital and we were put in foster care.   I was able to find her later in life.  She was 70 years old.  Been in a nursing home since she was 48.   They had done Electro Shock therapy and a Lobotomy on her when she was in her early 50's.  I went all these years thinking she was dealing with severe mental illness.   Now, I'm thinking that she had the same symptoms I am now having and this is how they treated it.

Anyways.  As I have said, I am now 10 weeks in to this.   The chiropractor helps with adjustments and natural whole food supplements.   I have not had one symptom free day since July 13th but each week I feel like I'm getting better.  I agree with a lot of the previous posts.   At this point it's about rest and nutrition.  You must support your internal organs....kidneys, liver......   Cut out diet soda and anything else with artificial sweeteners.   Be prepared that if you drink a lot of diet soda, the withdrawls from the Aspartame may be very uncomfortable, but they only last a few weeks or so.     I am so glad that I'm not alone in this.   Thank you all for your posts.
I had all of the above symptoms, for 10 years I suffered. Until I went to a wonderful Dr. who gave me a biodentical pellet, it took 3 weeks to work but I noticed a huge difference & all of the symptoms have either gone or have been reduced dramatically. To anyone who is suffering with these symptoms go & get it! I am going in for my 4th pellet today have been on them since Jan 2014. It saved my marriage, changed my life & I would recommend it to anyone. Just try it , you will notice a huge improvement. Also I am taking magnesium & progesterone pills at night
OMG I just turned 50 and I am so happy I found this site.  You guys have no idea how you made me feel better knowing that the terrible symptoms I have is menopause.  My legs get wobbly, I feel like I will pass out many times, my head gets heavy like it has a ton of water and would explode any minute, something passes over me like I will die and then I panic wondering if its my heart because I have a stent like 8 months now.  Sometime I feel so sick, I can hardly keep my eyes open.  Sometime I just give up but thanks again to you guys for sharing.
Hello Anne56....I just want you to know I have some if not most of these symptoms. I truly feel like my life is just turnd upside down. So I panick and then can't catch  my breath....which leads to me thinking I have ms or heart problems. I am so thankful for your post, it certainly calms me down and makes me realize I'm not Alone. So I want to thank you for your words of wisdom. Knowing there are people out there suffering with the same thing, makes me feel hopeful, we will all be alright.
Hello Anne,
I am 48 and I believe I started having issue about 4 years ago.  I started having insomnia, shaky inside and tingling in the head.  September 25, 2014 was the worse.  Driving and just normal functions have been awful.  I have the heavy head feeling that comes and goes constantly,sight is weird, terrible dizzy spells.  My gyno ran blood tests, said low progesterone and T3. He put me on progesterone pill and Armour Thyro.  Have only been on this two days.  I have slept better the last two nights but still head still way off and dizzy and overall just feel like crap.  The doctor said I wasn't perimeno yet but didn't mean I was about to dive off the cliff.  I am sure I am perimeno now and have been for some time.  It has been hard to feel this way when just a week or so ago I was ok.  I work full time so I must keep going.  I am trying to deal with daily issues as they come.  I refuse to let this rule my world.  I will do the best I can to keep normal.  Working is hard as my brain doesn't function as it use to.  I cannot imagine feeling this way for 10 more years!!!!!  At least I know I am not the only one!   Look forward to keeping up with everyone!
Hi Anne
I thought I still had youre E mail but I dont.
Do you have mine?
Hi Anne, I searched on line for women who have had similar experiences to me with regard to muscle weakness, neuro symptoms and menopause. Thank you for writing and keeping up with these posts for all of these years. I have so many neuro symptoms that I have been tested for stroke, MS, ALS, blood works and many other specialists. My GYN is not surprised that I have menopause. It has been since June 2014 since my last period and I feel like my body has changed overnight. I started wth dry mouth, dry eyes, dry everything and was dx with Sjogrens syndrome last year. This year, I got slurred speech, neck stiffness and pain, weakness in my hands, weak leg, numb toe and degeneration on my spine in all areas (on an MRI). Hot flashes make my muscles weak and my back pain worse, then it subsides and as I cool down I feel a bit better. My toes are always numb and I wonder if my bones/ligaments are stressed and I need better shoes. My gait is off and I get very tired easily. I've had heavy head and limbs too. This has all been frightening, but none of the doctors want to link it to menopause unless I point it out, even then, they dismiss it. My GYN is supportive, but isnt sure it explains all. I've also had big changes in my body. No more thighs, but bigger belly and waist is thick, so turning makes me feel awkward and numb. I am going to another neuro in Boston just to be sure it is not MS, but really I think this is all menopause! I get physical therapy that will help for a few days. I've had batk problems and joint pain before but never all over my body at once. My PCP Rx Lorazepam and now he doesn't really want to talk about other health issues because he thinks it's all anxiety. My anxiety is wondering what is wrong with me! But reading these posts makes me think it's menopause and that makes sense. I ordered a bunch of books on line to read. If you have any  suggestions, let mek now. Thanks for listening!!  
He is a professional when it comes to all kind of spell, am talking of no other man than the great DR EZIZA who is capable of solving problems within 48hours. Am a living witness of his great work. He return Wilshere within 48hours and regulate his behaviour as well. his contact his ***@****, his mobile number +2348058176289