Menopause Expert Forum
long period

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

long period

Hi, I am a 50 yr. old woman who has always had regular periods until the past year. Now, my periods are irregular, light spotting between periods, and my last period has been going on for 8 days now, seems about  to stop, then I bleed bright red again.  The bleeding is not heavy, just constant spotting.  I saw my GYN about 6 months ago, and my pap smear and exam were normal. Should I  be concerned, or is this perhaps perimenopause?  Thank you.
It is unlikely there is anything to be concerned about given you saw your doctor 6 months ago and the fact that your are now 50 and all this is just starting. It is likely par for the course for perimenopause. If things are not settled down in the next few months, make an appointment to see your doctor. As mentioned, it is unlikely there is anything to be concerned about, but it might take a little more information and testing to individualize what is the best route to take to controlling your symptoms.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
You have just described my exact same problem.  I am 52 and have been scared to death.  My periods have also been regular until about a year ago. Last December I lost my job and started a new one and was under a great deal of stress.  My last period was in March, then started back up again in July, spotting off and on until the next period in August which lasted 21 days.  STopped for 22 days and started up again, and so on and so on.  I have been dealing with this ever since.  I do not have heavy bleeding only for the first day or two of my actual period and after that I barley need a pantyliner but you never know when it will require more and it's very nerve racking.  The bleeding does not completly stop and like yourself, when I think it's about to stop it starts right back up again.  I can hardly keep track of my periods as it's hard to tell when I've stoppd a period because like I said, it never completly stops even though it is very little.   I don't know how long this lasts, but it's very worrysome.  I have read that a lot of women are going thru this same thing and that is the only thing that gets me through this.  I have not had a checkup in one year, but it's time.  Everything was ok last visit.  I just wish this would stop for at least a couple of weeks.  I really appreciated the doctors response.  
Thanks for your response.  This is very frustrating, not knowing what is wrong with me.  I was kind of thinking maybe cervical polyps because I seem to bleed more after intercourse. But that too is a new development.  Thanks.
Thanks, lets keep in touch.  Let me know what your Dr. says after your next appointment. Hope all is good news!  I will let you know of any new developments with me.
From what I have read, it is often due to too much estrogen and not enough progesterone.  One needs to take progesterone to regulate the flow.  I am not a doctor but this is something that I have read.  This is apparently particularly prevalent among overweight women...who have estrogen stored in their fat. Menopause certainly causes periods to stop and start but constant flow...you have to correct that.  I took a progesterone cream that I would rub on my arms or tummy at bedtime...which certainly helped with sleep as well. Good luck!