Menopause Expert Forum
menopause and thickening of the uterus lining

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Does thickening of the uterus lining have anything to do with menopause? Is it just part of the process? My uterus lining measured 3mm 6 months ago, and now measures 9mm. I am 49 years old, and had a blood test that my doctor said showed no signs of menopause. He wants to do a biopsy, but I hate to have surgery and I want to know if this is just normal for my age possibly getting close to menopause? I have a history of fibroids, but have posed no problems for me. My periods have become irregular for the first time in my life.
A. Uterine lining thickens each month during the reproductive years due to an increase in estrogen. With ovulation and the release of the egg, the ovary also starts to produce progesterone in the second half of the cycle which levels off the height of the buildup. If pregnancy doesn