Menopause Community
menopause at 39

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

menopause at 39

Please, i just hope if somebody had or is having the same problem can help me.
I am 41 and started early menopause 2 years ago, at 39.
My gyn told me that i should start HRT, because of being so young, the hormones will be good for me in the future, to protect my bones and my heart. I did not know too much about hormones, adn at that time i was not having any menopause  symptoms at all, and just start PROMETRIUM 100 MG AT BED TIME AND VIVELLE-DOT, 0.025, twice a week.
I started reading and listening to everybody, and i was so SCARED, that after 6 months i stopped everything.
The thing is, now, one year and a half later, i am having really bad hot flashes and night sweats, it is been more than 6 months that i can not sleep at all. I am so upset, so sad, and desperate that i can not sleep.
Went to 2 other doctors, and they both basically said the same thing, that i need to be on HRT, because of my age.
I am scared of all the risks and feel like a fish without water. Don't know what to do.
I woke up this morning and said, i am going to start my hormones again today, because last night was just horrible.
please, what do you think about it?
what should i do?
thankyou
Lee
What I would suggest is looking into Bio-Identical Hormones which is a natural HRT.  There are limited doctors that will subscribe this and pharmacies that can compound it. It is a creme that you rub into your skin to counteract the hormones you are missing and meno symptoms..

I know of at least 10 women that swear by this and have never taken regular HRT's. Some of them went into surgical menopause and some naturally.

I understand your fear as I never want to take any HRT when the times comes as I have been on them for 7 yrs for Endometriosis and just recently came off it.

Sleeping is the hard thing. I have that issue as well. Have you tried Valarian before?

Anyways these are just my suggestions as I am not a doctor just a person who has dealt with major hormone issues since I was 15. I am 34 now.
I started having symptoms at age 41, mainly hot flashes.  I have always had awful insomnia.  It hasn't worsened as far as sleep difficulty, but my sleep is even less sound due to night sweats and getting up to pee and drink water several times a night.  If I could take HRT, I would.  Estrogen does contribute to breast health changes, but if you are a good candidate for HRT, it has its merits.  Besides helping with symptoms, it helps you maintain bone density.  If you are in a high risk category for osteoporosis and low for breast cancer, you might consider HRT.  Good luck!