Menopause Community
menopause?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

menopause?

How do you know if you are going through menopause or its thyroid problems? I take synthroid pills everyday which usually gets adjusted every so often cause levels are off. Also I had an ablation done almost 3 years ago so I don't get periods. But for several months now I get what seems to be hot flashes mood swings overheated easily. These can also be signs of menopause. Is there blood work to tell if I am going through it or maybe both my thyroid and menopause? I just had thyroid levels checked and they were low so my meds got adjusted about 2 wk s ago and still getting these symtoms (symptoms). Also, what is the age for getting check for osteoperosis? I am 44, very thin and I smoke. Should I be checked sooner for this along with the history of the ablation 3 years ago? Thanks
Yes, there are blood tests that give a generalized guideline as to where you may be at in terms of menopause.  They can test FSH (Folicle Stimulating Hormone) and LH (Leutenizing Hormone) as well as your levels of estrogen, progesterone, testosterone etc..  This may give a clearer picture of where you're at but, it's not 100% because many women have FSH and LH levels within menopausal ranges and are still getting periods.  It's a "guide" only.  

At 44 years of age, it's likely that you are going through the hot flushes etc. but, may not be in actual menopause.  We can start getting the symptoms of menopause years before the actual onset of it.  Menopause is a process that goes through many years.  We mark it by the cessation of periods for 12 months or more but, the symptoms can be years before and for a couple of years later as well.  

As for osteoporosis, is there a history of it your family?  If so, you'd likely want to ask your doc for a requistion for a bone density scan.  There's nothing to it...just laying on a table and letting a scanner pass over your hip area.  If there's no history of it in your family, you may simply want to ask your doc when he/she starts evaluating it.  Some docs like to do it earlier than others, depending upon risk factors.  The fact that you smoke and are thin and have thyroid issues is likely a good reason to begin with at least a "baseline" (one to compare it with later on) bone density assessment.  

I'd ask for one to be done to be on the safe side.  We can't reverse bone loss much so, it's better to prevent it as much as possible.  

In the meantime, make sure to take a good quality calcium and vitamin D supplement.  Check with a local healthfood store or pharmacist to get a quality brand and dosage as a preventative measure.  

Best wishes!  
By the way, I meant to say that a lot of thyroid symptoms can mimic menopausal symptoms and vice versa as I'm sure that you know already.  That's why a lot of women think they are in menopause when in fact, their thyroids are off and vice vera. :)

You are at the age for peri meno, thats for sure.
My doctor did say he is gonna check all blood work for me on both in 4 wks just in case. He has to recheck my thyroid levels anyway after adjusting my synthroid med  So that makes me feel alot better. Thanks so much.
It is very hard to tell, i was going through peri-menopause and was dx Hashi/Hypo thyroid all in one week..i thought my thyroid symptoms was menopause..It was actually both as they are so alike..Dawn.
But if thryoid levels are in normal range at time of testing it should be accurate, right?
Yes i had blood tests that told me i was going through Menopause..you can do this x
Also if your meds were just adjusted give them at least 6 weeks to sort you out and you should start feeling better...