mid cycle spotting

I am 39 years old and a mother of 2.  I ovulated on day 14 and started spotting on day 15.  A dark brown, only on the tissue paper type spotting.  I have night sweats and have been waking up with migraines.  I am a smoker as well.  I have never had mid cycle spotting before and I started having menses at age 11.  There is zero chance of pregnancy as I have not been sexual in over a year.  I haven't had a pap in about 3 years but the last one was normal.  What could be causing this spotting?
Sounds like Perimenopause, mid cycle spotting especially at your age is common with a lot of women, including myself, in the perimenopause years. Go to the Dr. to be sure as I am NOT an expert. Your spotting definitely sounds hormonal to me, with what I have read up on, especially the night sweats on top of other things. I personally have not had night sweats but DO have irritability, Not sure if you have mild cramping or not with the spotting but I do, and it can last up to 3 days for me at times. I do not spot everytime I go to the bathroom on these days but on and off then its gone. I started taking a WOMENS multi vitamin and I have NOT spotted in the last 4 months incredible, try taking a Womens muli vitamin and see what happens. Don't be scared, these things do happen read the board on Spotting. Most women seem to be on or have been on Birth control pills when spotting. I have never and will NEVER take any type of birth control pill. I don't trust what there doing to our bodies!! Hope this helps and good luck to you,
Sofee