Menopause Expert Forum
no period for a year, and then returns?

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

no period for a year, and then returns?

I've been going through menopause symptoms for two years now, my period stopped last year around this time. Nothing happened for a year, except I had a couple of spots, then suddenly since three days ago, I have been having a full -on normal period, as if it never stopped. How can this be? Is this normal?

I thought I was getting close to the end of all this, it's been very difficult for me, I'm barely managing to work and fufill my social obligations because of all the symptoms. Now I feel like I'm back to square one. If this is going to go on for another couple of years, I don't know if I'm going to make it.
It sounds like you are having a very challenging time. There is a good chance that your bleeding pattern is totally normal. However, there is a slight chance it could represent a problem. For that reason and because you are having difficult symptoms, it would make sense to visit your doctor for both evaluation and treatment. He/she might want to check the lining of the uterus by doing a minor office procedure called an endometrial biopsy just to be on the safe side. However, the fact you had this spotting episode doesn't absolutely mean the symptoms are going to continue for a long time.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Thanks for your help, Dr. Seibel, I'll give my health plan people a call, I think they'll let us see a gynecologist without a referral from primary care doc. It's scary sometimes, and it's hard to find anyone to talk with about it. You can't talk to men about it, and even women don't understand, they look askance at me as if they think I am exaggerating. I didn't realize that menopause is something that still seems to carry a social stigma.
age 51 as of Nov perimenopausal since age 35, though i was in menopause for 5yrs (hot flashes and all).  same symptons as tripadi 11/27/07 w/ exception that my cycle has been once a year (sometimes two yrs apart) for the past 5-6yrs.  recent doctors visit and utra sound show endometrial thinkness 1.0 cm and letter results say this is adnormal for menopause.  in the past the doctor prescribed birth control to bring on the cycle but because historcially my cycles had been so problematic (heavy and severe cramping) that i won't do it.

have scheduled f/u to discuss findings...should i expect the findings is a problem?