Menopause Expert Forum
painful intercourse

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

painful intercourse

I am 57 and had a total hysterectomy about 10 years ago. At the time prior to the hysterectomy, I was bleeding constantly therefore the sex was almost nill.  Now 10 years later it is still the same but not because of the bleeding prior to the surgery, but because of the pain.  I am very tight and have tried all types of lubricants and I even tried estring in which I really should ot because of cancer in my family.
Has anyone ever had this problem?
A. You are not the only person this happens to. Unfortunately, it is something we see from time to time and it is very upsetting for women.  After a hysterectomy when the ovaries are also removed, estrogen levels get low, and the vaginal tissues loose some of their elastic tissue.  This can cause the vagina to become narrower and tighter, especially if intercourse doesn
Thanks so much for your response to the painful intercourse question, was wondering about the candle though, isn't parrafin a slightly toxic substance? Perhaps not. Anyway, could I possibly do the same thing with a small dildo or something? Or is the candle wax better for making the vagina more elastic? This has been very bothersome for me and I have not had sex for over 2 years. I'm a 52 year old woman. Thanks so much!