Menopause Community
period after 2 years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

period after 2 years

I am 54 a month away from being 55 haven't had a period in 2 years...last one was horrible, had to take 800 mg of ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours to slow bleeding...this time it is a light period but have been bleeding for about 5 days and still going...this time it started out with dark brown spotting, then to the light normal red period I am still experiencing. About 2 to 3 weeks prior to this period my breasts were so sore and tender. Any answers, suggestions other than seeing my GYN?  Thank you in advance!
Before my hysterectomy I had lots of days of old blood, spotting and the like, but I was in my 30s.  I was told by the gyn doctor it was normal as one aged to start having changes in one's period.  It turned out I had endometriosis, which can be a very painful condition (and was).  Of course, your situation of starting up periods again after two years is different.  I think you should get your hormonal levels checked.
As to the tenderness, have you had a breast exam lately?  My mom was just reading today about fibroadenomas and how they can make you sore and tender prior to a period.