Menopause Community
period after 4 years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

period after 4 years

I am 54 and the dr gave me meds in 2004 to help me get thru menopause. I haven't had a period in 4 years then 2 days ago I started cramping and have heavy bleeding. Is this normal?
hi granny!

i had the same thing happen to me last sunday.....only it was 2 1/2 yrs. for me since my last cycle and i have never take the meds.  my dr. suggested i come in for an ultrasound (vaginal) and he is going to do a biopsy.  this could just be stress related, but after so long without a cycle, it is better safe than sorry!  the biopsy is not a big deal, but may cause some mild cramping and slight discomfort.  i was out of town and just got home today, so the first day i can go is tues.  please call your dr.  since you are on hormone pills, it could just be one of those crazy h things!  lol!  but like i said....better safe than sorry!  

good luck!  let us know what your dr. says!
elizabeth
Thanks for your feedback. This had me concerned since it had been so long. I am not on hormones or any type of medication anymore. The meds my dr gave me got me thru menopause after 6 months and then nothing else. I haven't taken the meds in years. Can't even remember what they were called.I am making an appt for next week but thank you so much. It's nice to know that
i'm not alone in this.
no, you're not alone at all.  i'm right there with you! when you make your appt. make sure and speak with the nurse.  when they hear of bleeding so long past menopause, they will fit you in very quickly.  and if you're anything like me, that's a good thing!  patience was never my strongest virtue!!!  lol!

let me know when your appt. is.  mine is tues. this week.
elizabeth
I went thru menapause at 20 and am now 35.  I started bleeding this year again, that is 15 yrs with nothing and then all of a sudden BAM!
I went thru the biopsy and that came out fine.  They told me that my body decided to start working again.  
i hope we are both as lucky!!