Menopause Expert Forum
please help!!! i think im pregnant(not sure)

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

i use to take birth control.i was on it for a year or so. last month when i was still on birth conrol my period was only 2 and 1/2 days long, very light. it was mostly spotting. my period usualy last 6-7 days. so i was worried that i might be pregnant, so now i stoped taking my birth control. so what i wanna know is could i be pregnat? when i use to take my birth control i did not take it at the same time every day.and sometimes i would miss a pill, but double up the next day.
Birth control pills are very effective. But they are not perfect, especially if one misses a pill and takes them at various times. However, even if a person takes them perfectly, sometimes a pregnancy does happen. It is also possible that your spotting is from being on the pill for a year or so, or that you are stressed or your weight changed a lot, you are taking drugs or medicines that interfere with the pill or many other things. So it is difficult to say if you are pregnant or not.

The best thing to do is to go to the drug store and buy a home pregnancy test. They are quite accurate after a missed period (about 99% accurate).  If it is positive, you have your answer. If it is negative and you are still worried, wait 1-2 days and do another home pregnancy test. Pregnancy tests often come 2/package. In the meantime,  use protection if you don't want to be pregnant.

Machelle M. Seibel, MD