Menopause Expert Forum
rash on tummy

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

rash on tummy

I am 49, in good physical condition (I exercise regularly and eat healthily) and I am at the correct weight for my height. I have 2 children aged 11 and 13. I had a partial thyroidectomy 12 years ago. I was diagnosed as having fibroid tumors 2 years ago, some of them are quite large. I have had no period this month but have developed a rash on the skin area over my tummy which is painless and not itchy. Is there any chance that the rash is connected with either the fibroid tumours or incipient menopause?
A rash is extremely unlikely to be associated with either fibroids or perimenopause. It is always difficult to guess what a rash might be due to without seeing it and more information but almost certainly not due to the causes you asked about.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
When I was exactly your age, about 5 years ago, I had a rash on my tummy and I went to see 2 allergists and 1 dermatologist about it.  They all agreed that I needed to be on anti-itch meds plus anti-histamines for life.  They said that people get rashes, no one knows why but they often disappear just as they came...and to take the meds. I was SO drowsy on the meds but could not get off them without the hives (which were itchy). I went to see my local holistic health practitioner who said to get off all carbs.  Within 2 days I was off the meds and the  hives did not return...until I tried to re-introduce the carbs again.  I don't know if your rash would be the same.  A rash can be the result of more serious disease such as lymphoma so I would get it checked out in order to rule it out.  But get off the carbs in the meantime to see if the rash disappears. Good luck. BlueEgg