Menopause Expert Forum
rash

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

rash

I am 52 years old and have been dealing with severe hot flashes for a couple of years now, but the last 6 months I have been getting a rash about an inch away from the vagainal lips which sometimes even blisters. It is almost like the discharge is burning my skin although there is no smell or signs of infection. I will have the painful rash for a few days and then it clears up for another few days and then returns. I have tried washing often durning the day and putting baby diaper rash cream and cortizone and powder on it and nothing helps. What can be causing this and how do it fix it?
In this situation, the best thing is to see  your doctor. The rash could be due to low estrogen which is the most likely cause. Estrogen cream could remedy that. You could also use a vaginal moisturizer called Replens found in the women's section of the drug stores and chains. Use it daily inside the vagina for a week or two then twice weekly afterward. If that helps it go away, low estrogen is the likely cause. However, there are also specific skin problems found in the vulva - the skin around the lips of the vagina, such as vulvar dystrophies. There are also infections such as herpes. Try the Replens. If you are not better in two to four weeks, see  your doctor. There is likely a treatment to make you feel better.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD