Menopause Community
sex during menopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

sex during menopause

just recently in the past couple of months it has become painful to have intercourse without any lubrication applied.  it almost feels like i am being scraped inside at the time.  what should i do or what can relieve this situation.
I too have experienced the same and now have tiny ulcer like sores after 1.5 years of pain.  I've seen several doctors who say I'm estrogen deficient and to use the cream they prescribe but that doesn't work.  Most have given me lanacane (numbing cream) but I'd like my sex life back with my husband as well.  I don't have an SDT (e.g. herpes) but tiny little open sores/ulcers that have spread over the last year and penetration is excruciating.

I went off hormone therapy 6 months following my last period as I needed the help pre-menopause and feel great now but the doctors say it's the lack of estrogen that's creating the thin skin, the lack of elasticity and irritation.  The gynecologists say it's a part of menopause and the vagina will do crazy things but I'm not going to go the rest of my life using a numbing cream to enjoy my husband.  

I'm still researching this and a couple of the doctors here in southern CA have said this is odd and that they have heard this for a couple of other women.

Treatment so far:

Tetracycline
Augmenten
Proscription strength Estrogen cream
Steroids

None have helped so I may go back on hormone therapy and will let you know if this works.

Good luck and in the meantime, try the lanacane cream from your doctor.  

Shelby
My wife went thruogh the same thing and none of the doctor prescribed creams worked. I did tons of research(I wanted to enjoy my wife again as much as she wanted me) and found a product called Lyriana. We ordered some and followed the instructions for two weeks and we are injoying our sex life fully once again!  Every body is different but this cream is worth a try. It does'nt seem to be a lubrication issue but thining of the vaginal wall and this stuff seems to help the bodies natural tendances to return the proper ciculation to the affected areas which results in a more normal membrane . Like I said it worked great for my wife no burning and discomfort.Try it  and lots of luck.