Menopause Community
thick uterine lining

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

thick uterine lining

I have been perimenopausal for the past 8 years or so!!!!. I am now 57 years old and still getting my period. About 7 months ago I underwent a D & C due to irregular staining for a duration of a few months after my pelvic ultrasound showed an abnormally thick uterine lining. All was well for a few months, I then had 3 months of no period (hooray) but then I had about 2 weeks of staining. After a month I had 3 days of extremely heavy bleeding (something I had a few years ago on a monthly basis - but I thought I was done with that). I went for another ultrasound which again is showing a thick uterine lining. My dr. gave me a choice of getting another D & C or having another ultrasound in another couple of months. Anyone out there ever have this type of experience? This is becoming a bit of a pain in the neck.
I hear you on this one!  I'm in the same boat, using the same paddles, trying to get past this point and not being able to.  :)  

I also have a thickened uterine lining (16mm's).  I'm 53 btw.  Obviously, your doc doesn't seem overly concerned about your thickened lining otherwise, he/she would not be giving you a "choice".  The fact that you're still shedding your lining at some point or another, with periods (albeit, heavy) is likely why he/she is not all that worried.  It's when you've gone extensive periods of time with a thickened lining and no shedding that they want to induce a period in order to shed that lining so that it doesn't become pre-cancerous or cancerous.  Obviously, he/she is still considering you "perimenopausal" because you are still getting periods and this type of thing seems to be very common during this stage.  

In my case, my last period was in December of last year and I've been spotting at least once or twice daily for nearly 6 months now.  So, my doc decided that I should have an Endometrial/Uterine biopsy to be in the safe side.  I had that done in August and got the results of that early last week.  Thank the heavens, it came back as "normal"/"benign".  However, it doesn't end here.  During the biopsy, she happened to get pieces or fragments of a polyp (also benign as pretty much all polyps are before age 65).  That led her to have an "ah-ha moment" where she said that the cause of my bleeding could be the polyp or perhaps, several of them and may also be the reason for the seemingly "thickened lining" on a regular transvaginal ultrasound.  Apparently, the uterus flattens (it's not hollow like we see on diagrams) and that presses polyps or fibroids flat and is oftentimes undetectable during a regular ultrasound.  So, now, I'm being booked in for a Sonohysterogram where they will instill a small amount of saline solution into the uterus to open up the uterine cavity and ultrasound it to detect any polyps or internal fibroids that may be causing this.  If they are large enough to produce the symptoms, I will need to go into hospital for a day procedure to remove it/them.  The other alternative cause may simply be an estrogen dominance (which can also cause polyps to grow) and perhaps, just my body's way of ending off, to use her words.  

I have a couple of suggestions for you.  :)

First of all, it's highly likely that you are estrogen dominant (producing more estrogen than progesterone).  And, if you are like me and are over ideal weight, you may want to start reducing your weight as estrogen gets stored in fat tissues.  

Secondly, there's an herb called "Chasteberry" but, it is labeled as "Vitex" rather than Chasteberry.  It evens off progesterone vs. estrogen naturally.  However, it takes time.  You might want to do some research for yourself on this with a google on Vitex and perimenopause.  And, get onto a good vitamin regime that includes iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamins B, (a good complex of 50mg), D, E (no more than 400 iu;/day), Omega 3, and zinc.  

Thirdly, if none of these measures are helping, when you do see your doc next, you may want to consider asking for at least a Sonohysterogram to see if you do indeed have polyps or interior fibroids which may be causing this bleeding to be the way it is.  It's apparently easily fixed if there are polyps and your uterine lining may not be as thick as it appears.  See what he/she has to say in response.

And, by the way....polyps "roll" during D&C's so, it's not the most effective way of saying that there are none or removing them by any means!  Do some research on D&C's and polyps.  You'll find that D&C's are "blind" scrapings so, they miss these types of growths as they are fleshy and simply roll as they scrape.  Hysteroscopy is the only way to removed them for sure.  So, it could be that you've had one or more all along, in spite of the previous D&C.  No use in going in for another procedure that isn't going to solve the problem. :)    

I understand your frustration because I've had enough too!  I'm also fed right up with procedures, doctor's appointments, testings, waiting, worrying and wearing pads.  I'm fed up with being upset too. :)

Please post again and let us know how you make out.  Your experiences can help others too.  :)
Thank you so much for all of that info. I did as a matter of fact also have polyps - once a few years ago when I had some staining and again when I had my last d & c - also benign and nothing to worry about thank g'd. I will definitely look into your suggestions before and after I have the ultrasound next month. I'll let you know what happens.
Last year I started spotting after 3 years of no bleeding!! Thankfully,  the biopsy showed no cancerous cells.  Today, I started to bleed after 10 months.  I am waiting for the doctor to return the phone call.  She did say that my uterus had a thick lining.  She will probably want to schedule a d & c.  Not sure what to do.  I am going tobe 56 in 3 weeks and tired of all the stress this brings on.  
Well, I'm going for 3rd ultra sound in 6 months now. Periods are pretty regular and unsensationaly now thank g'd but lining is still thick. went from 24 to 13 to 18. I'm not too concerned though because my horrible periods seem to have subsided and I'm feeling fine. Anyone know what the record age for late menopause is???????? I never thought I'd be begging for it to arrive but gosh I'm 57 already!
These comments are useful since I am scheduled for a D & C and wonder why I am going.  About 2 months ago I had spotting that lasted about 2 weeks.  My last period was 3 years ago and this never happened but has not happened since.  So my doctor had me take a sonogram and they noticed a thickening of the uterus lining - a 9 when 7 is actually preferable.  There are no other indications of problems but my doctor is cautious.  I am wondering if this is an unnecessary surgery.  Next, no one has mentioned this pre-surgical procedure I am getting where a devise is inserted in the vagina a day before to open the uterus for the surgery.  My doctor says it is safer to do but it is unconfortable when inserted.  I feel poked and prodded but I'd appreciate some thoughts
I am 60 y/o.  I have not had a period for 8 years.  I have arthritis and had a very painful knee so I went to Ortho Doctor and he gave me a shot of Kenalog, which messed up my hormones.  After three weeks I began to bleed for a period of 12 days.  My annual check up was due and I went to my doctor.  I told her what I had been experiencing.  She did a pap smear, which came back ok.  She then sent me to get a sonogram. Which showed that the lining of my uterus was thick.  She sent me to a OB/GYN doctor.  She did a biopsy of my uterus and it was determined that I had endometriosis.  My choices for treatment were 1) Hysterectomy  2) Provera 10 mg and a biopsy every three months (ouch) 3) Mirena IUD for 5 years.  I choose #3 because of my weight and the stage was a very mild case. The hysterectomy was a little drastic for a mild case and those biopsy was painful.  She told me that woman during menopause can get this because they no longer produce enough Progesterone and after 5 years of being on Mirena I would have completed menopause.  So, we will see how things go.