Menopause Community
thickening of the uterus walls

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

thickening of the uterus walls

I just heard from my doctor that i have a thickening of the uterus wall. What exactly does this mean, is it common, and what are the chances that it can be cured, because i am really really scared?
hi, I've just been through the same thing.  Went for my yearly checkup, pap test and all.  Because I have had cyst on my ovaries in the past I had a VUS.
Doctor call to say cyst on ovary...but also thickening of the uterus walls.
I was scheduled for a Endometrial Biopsy.  I was really scared as well.
Had the biopsy a couple of weeks ago...everything was fine. I am 45 years old
and in Jan. and Feb. missed my period. Blood test showed that I am menopausal so I guess things will be out of whack until I get thru the whole menopause thing. So, hang in there...you might want to ask your doctor if
a biopsy is in order...just to relieve your worry.
I just got back from my gyn exam, and MD said uterus was a little enlarged...

I had 2 sonos in the last year...1 st one said endometrial stripe was 6mm,uterus was 7.9mm- the one in Feb said the stripe was 8mm, uterus was 9.1..both times, the radiologist said "normal" findnings...
However, MD is sending me for a repeat next week.
I never have any issues like bleeding, pain, etc...

Can this be serious??? I ma not menopausal...blood tests all normal...had 4 children, never an issue...

should I get a biopsy?? what do you think?
There are many cause from very benign process to malignancy especially cancer associated endometrial thickening. What are the gynecological symptoms do you have or any other symptoms and what about your age? Is there any family history of endometrial cancer or any other cancer?

Here are some test which you doctor may tell you to do?

Ultrasound
PAP smear
Biopsy (gold standard)
hysteroscopy

jfe,4 it does not look like you have any serious cause but serious cause has to be always good to rule out since endometrial cancer is no#1 gynecological cancer.
I have had my period for more than a month, it is not heavy but an annoyance. I had blood tests, hormones and thyroid are "normal". Ultrasound showed a cyst on my left ovary.

I am almost 50 years old. If hormones are "normal", does this mean that it is not related to menopause?

What is the cause?

Thank you!
I AM 59 AND ALREADY HAD ENDOMETRIOSIS AND HAD A OVARY AND TUBE REMOVED 15 YEARS AGO..

FIRST TIME I HAD A THICK LINING THEY BIOPSIED IN THE OFFICE WHILE UNDER A LOCAL...THEY DID A D&C AND ALL TURNED OUT FINE.

NEXT YEAR.....NEXT SONOGRAM...PROVED TO BE ANOTHER THICKENING QUITE LARGE..7M.SO FIRST THE DOCTOR GAVE ME A PAINFUL TEST WHICH IS A LONG STICK AND THEY PUT WATER INSIDE TO SEE WHAT IS IN THERE... A BIG WASTE.....I ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL ANYWAY. IN THE HOSPITAL (UNDER ANESTHESIA) THEY MANAGED TO GO DEEPER AND SEE A LARG POLYP.WHICH THEY HAD TO PUT A WIRE IN AND PULL IT OUT...(TO WHICH I WONDER IF THEY GOT IT ALL) ...BIOPSY NEGATIVE
THEN 2 DAYS AGO  ANOTHER SONOGRAM ....ONLY 15 MONTHS LATER AND MY LINING IS 6 AGAIN...SO NOW THEY WANT TO DO THE TEST WITH THE WATER TO WHICH I REFUSED...I WANTED TO GO STRAIGHT TO THE HOSPITAL BUT SHE SAID FIRST LETS DO A BIOPSY IN THE OFFICE..AS LONG AS THEY GIVE ME A LOCAL I DON'T CARE....SO THAT IS SCHEDULED FOR JULY 8TH AND THEN THEY WILL DECIDE ABOUT THE NEXT STEP REGARDING THE HOSPITAL AGAIN...TO WHICH SHE SAYS THIS TIME SHE WILL BURN THE LINING OF THE UTERUS/CERVIX WHICHEVER.....TO WHICH MAKES ME THINK SHE BELIEVES THAT SHE DID NOT GET TO THE ROOT OF IT LAST TIME AND THIS WILL FINALLY DO IT....
THEY MAKE IS SOUND LIKE IT IS UNUSUAL FOR A POLYP TO GROW BACK .
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF POLYPS REGROW OR THICKENING REGROWS.  I KNOW THAT I DO HAVE A CYST AND FIBROID SINCE 30 YEARS OLD.