Menopause Expert Forum
thickening of uterus lining

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

thickening of uterus lining

I was wondering the doctor said my lining was 12mml thick.  So what does that actually mean.  I will get another test in about a week to see where I am  with the thickness.  But is 12mml something to be concerned?  Does anyone know the normal range of thickness for lining>> Thanks Cyndyanne
A. Uterine lining varies in thickness over the course of the menstrual cycle.  In the menopausal woman, it is typically 4mm or less in thickness.  Obviously, 12 mm is thicker than normal for menopause, but can be normal in the middle of a normal menstrual cylcle. For menopausal women, one has to check to see if the thickness is normal tissue or an abnormal buildup which can either be benign or due to uterine cancer.  Sometimes the lining looks thick and it is really a polyp inside the uterus. Polyps are usually benign tissue.

If the lining stays thick, your doctor might want to sample the lining (called an endometrial biopsy). It is an office procedure and usually only a mild cramp that lasts for a short time. Sometime the doctor might look inside the uterus with a thin telescope called a hysteroscope. This can sometimes be done in the office without anesthesia, but sometimes requires it being done in the operating room.  It is only about a 30 minute procedure. Either of these approaches should give the answer.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Thanks!
i had another test on lining and it was 10mml.  So i went to a gyn and she did the test endo biopsy. Now ive veen bleeding ever since.  I will call her tomorrow. Is that normal to bleed for so long.  It seems like a have a period. I had the test on Wed Jan 3.  Thnks Cindyanne
I went to the doctor again and she put me on Antibiotics for the bleeding.. she said it is probably an infection... Now i thought it went away last nite and then today the bleeding came back... So could this be another problem.  i did more work today i was just laying around because i did not want to bleed more...I will be an antibiotic for 3 wks then if im still bleeding she will do a test in hospital....So could there be something more then an infection...like poked me somewhere??
Thanks ck
I recently had a ct scan done because I was experiencing sharp pains to the right side of my abdomin (abdomen).  The scan picked up something unrelated to my symptons.  It shows a thickening of my uterus with fluid.  What could this mean? I am not close to having my menstrual cycle.  My last pap came back as abnormal, but upon further testing, everything was fine.  Any advice of what this might be.  I am 38 years old.  Thank you.