thickness of the uterus
My mom is 62 years old. She just had a breast removed because of stage one cancer. Now they tell her she has thickness of the uterus. They didn't tell her much and i'm wondering what all this means. She's had fibroids removed about 5 years ago. Any help would be great. Thanks
Thickening of the uterine lining can mean several things and most of them are not serious.  I have a thickened uterine lining as well.  

What it will mean is that they will likely do an endometrial biopsy (office procedure) or, a D&C (hospital procedure, day surgery..about a 15 minute procedure under general anesthetic) to check the cells to see a number of things:

They can determine if the build-up of the endometrium is due to proliferative changes (ie: hormonal imbalances...more often than not, too much estrogen over time), hyperplasia  which is a benign build-up of the endometrium when it is "simple hyperplasia" or "complex hyperplasia" which is cellular changes that "could" lead to cancer or whether is is cancerous.  In most cases, it is not cancer but, given her history of breast cancer, they will likely be being more cautious and suspicious of an excess of estrogen/estrogen dominance and therefore, will take precautions to make sure that it isn't cancer and doesn't turn into it.  

Treatments can vary, depending upon what they find and what method they use to determine what it is.  For instance, if they go right to a D&C and find that it is proliferative changes, nothing more really needs to be done but, perhaps, a follow-up ultrasound to make sure that the lining doesn't thicken again.  If it's hyperplasia (simple hyperplasia) and they've done the D&C, they may want to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't build up again by watching with ultrasounds.  If they do a uterine biopsy and find this, they may go and do a D&C anyways or, perhaps, a treatment time frame of several months with progesterone to thin out the lining again.  If it turns out to be complex hyperplasia or cancer, they may want to go ahead and do a hysterectomy to get rid of any chances.  

Either way, it's likely to be just fine and she will be just fine.  It's a matter of following through with what is prescribed by her doc.  A thickened uterine lining on ultrasound post menopausally doesn't mean cancer but, it does mean that it warrants further investigation to be on the safe side.  Many, many women experience this and I'm sure that they have been watching her carefully given her history of breast cancer so, they are going to be more proactive in this case....JUST in case.  :)  Best to be safe.  

Please update us as to how she makes out and what the docs propose on doing for her!  It will help others in here as well.  

Best wishes!
Thanks for all the info. I feel alot better and I know my mom will feel better to. I'll keep in touch. Thanks again.