Menopause Expert Forum
vaginal discharge

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

vaginal discharge

I am a 53 year old healthy, active post menopausal woman. My last pap smear was June 2005 and was normal. My last perid was around 4 years ago. I am on no medication. Yesterday and today I have had creamy white vaginal discharge, like what I use to have before ovulation! No itching or any other symptons. What is going on? Any need for concern?
Thanks!
Candice
A. It is very unlikely that you need to be concerned. Vaginal discharges in menopause are very common.  By far, the most common one is due to lower estrogen levels and is called atrophic vaginitis.  It occurs because the pH of the vagina changes from acid to base ie, the pH increases.  This changes the natural balance in the vagina and causes certain bacteria that live in the vagina to increase faster than others and leads to mild inflammation.  You can go to the drugstore and buy an over the counter vaginal moisturizer called Replens.  Use it daily for one week and twice a week after that.  

If the problem isn