Menopause Expert Forum
vasomotor rhinitis

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

vasomotor rhinitis
Can menopause be a factor in the developement of vasomotor rhinitis?  I am 54 and my doctor said it sounds like my "allergic" reactions are actually from vasomotor rhinitis since I have tested negative for allergens.   At the same time, my sense of smell has been heightened.  I am not sure if all of this is just menopause or also the result of being around some strong chemicals recently.
Vasomotor rhinitis is a very common problem affecting millions of Americans. The symptoms include nasal obstruction and rhinorrhea or a runny nose. If you have been around a lot of chemicals, see an allergist or a physician working in industrial exposure to find if you are allergic to any of them. Depending on what is found, it might also be helpful to speak with a neurologist about your increased sense of smell. Only after these types of conditions have been excluded can the diagnosis of vasomotor rhinitis be made.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD