Menopause Expert Forum
way past menopause

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

way past menopause
I have gone through menopause almost 3 years now. No periods except one time, barely a spot. That was 2 years ago. I used to get very tender breasts before periods, but not since I went through menopause. In the last couple of weeks I felt a twinge in one of my ovaries like the PMS signal of ovulation that lasted a day or two. After that, I noticed my breasts have been swelling and are tender, just like when I had periods. I feel this is very strange after not having any symptoms at all for two years, now all of a sudden getting tender breasts.  I was told I had fibroids in the past, but they shrank after menopause.  I have never had any hormone replacement and the hot flashes haven't happened for a long time now. Should I be concerned?
While there is likely nothing to be concerned about, it is always a good idea to check up on things when they are really different than usual. Talk with your doctor about your symptoms. Discuss getting an exam and a pelvic ultrasound to see if there is a cyst on your ovaries. Sometimes cyst can cause estrogen to be produced. It is always better to be sure than to worry.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD