Men's Health Community
Anaemia

A community for people with Men's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Anaemia

My husband aged 45 yrs has been diagnosed with anaemia i.e. his haemoglobin has come down to 5.4 and his Vit B12 has also come down to 118............Dr. has started with Vitcofol inj. every alternate day for 5 days and also vitcofol capsules...........but somehow I am not satisfied with this and would like to know whether this traetment is ok or shall we consult any specialist? Please suggest me at the earliest.Thank You.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello there,
I cannot confirm the exact treatment without clinically examining your husband but can definitely share some information about his illness with you. Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin not found in our body stores. To maintain optimum health we need to consume foods rich in this vitamin. This vitamin is essential for the normal formation of red blood cells and proper functioning of nerves and nervous system. A deficiency in vitamin B12 decreases the production of red blood cells leading to anaemia.The treatment of this deficiency is either oral ingestion of vitamin B12 or injections. He should consume  a diet rich in meat, milk, cheese, and eggs, , leafy green vegetables, citrus fruits, , fortified breads and cereals which are rich in vitamin B12 and folic acid. If you are not satisfied with the ongoing treatment you may seek second opinion.
Take care and best regards!
Thank you so much Doctor............
Exercise Tracker
Exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle