Men's Health Community
Dermatitis Treatment On Penis Skin?

A community for people with Men's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Dermatitis Treatment On Penis Skin?

I have dermatitis on the tip of my penis right on the skin at my penis opening. I have had it for almost a year now, and a few months back I finally went to a dermatologist. I was prescribed Elidel, however at first I was concerned with the black box warning and asked my doctor for a prescription skin barrier cream instead called EpiCeram to try first. Anyways, I have used the EpiCeram for a couple months along with a penis vitamin cream call Man 1 Man Oil and Emu Oil also. It seems as though my condition has improved somewhat, but not completely and I am wondering whether or not I should try the Elidel now since I want to get this resolved faster! So I want to know if Elidel is really safe for the penis skin, since on the instructions it says not to get in eyes,vagina, mouth or rectum. Okay, so what happens if some gets down into my urethra since the area I am treating is right on my meatus (skin at pee-hole opening)? Also, why does it say on the instructions to only use if all other topical treatments have failed, if it is suppose to be safer than steroid creams? My doctor thinks that the black box warning is "bogus" and that it is safe since I am not taking it orally or for an extended period of time, so now I am not so much concerned about the black box warning, but I don't want to use anything that will cause additional problems! I understand that Elidel does not carry the side effects associated with steroid creams such as skin thinning, but does Elidel have any serious side effects to the skin that I should be aware of? Also, if I do give it a try, how long should I expect to see results (a week, 2, a month) and how long is it safe to use it for? Or should I use something else instead? Keep in mind I have already tried about all the basic treatments!
.
1 Comment
Hi!
Well, this is a tricky situation. Prolonged use of Elidel has been seen to be associated with skin cancer and lymphoma. However, a direct causative link has not been found yet. This is why a box office warning has been added to the product. It is advisable not to use this ointment for more than six weeks. Yes, it does carry a chance of entering the urethra and irritating it. Elidel ointment is known to cause irritation on the skin and hence it is best avoided on mucosal regions. You can discuss these concerns with a second urologist who can examine you. If the second opinion is also in favor of Elidel then go ahead and apply for a month or so.
Good personal hygiene and avoiding use of strong soaps is also important. If you are using condoms then it is important to rule out latex allergy. Sometimes underlying STD, diabetes or fungal infection too makes it difficult to treat dermatitis. So, do discuss all this with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
redheadaussie Back in Good old Aus. Soooo... Comment
Aug 28
redheadaussie commented on redheadaussie's status
Aug 28
cnote is good! :) Comment
Aug 26
Exercise Tracker
Exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle